Need some advice on my situation - AA20 TS19 PA20

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MSUdent36

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So my situation is a little weird, and I'm not sure what I should do base on my DAT scores.
I graduated in 2010 with a degree in Humanities (AKA I was a football player). My GPA was poor (~2.6). After a few years of working in finance I went back and took the prereqs for dental school, and since I didn't take any sciences, it pretty much meant taking everything on the list of requirements (40 science credits in total). I've now got all my requirements done, and my science GPA is a 3.76. Unfortunately, I look at the grades from 2010 and feel like they're weighing me down a lot. So, I was hoping to destroy my DAT, but ended up with AA/20 TS/19 OC/19 GC/20 Bio/20 RC/21 QR/19 PA/20.
I'm from Michigan, and would love to get accepted to U of M, but I'm not sure what my chances are with that. And since I have to wait 90 days to retake the exam, the earliest I can take it again is late August.

So the big question is, should I retake the DAT? Can I get in to schools on the level of UM with these numbers?

I've got WAY more hours shadowing than I need, and some good EC as well.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
assuming your undergrad credit is around 120,
reverse calculation gives me that your oGPA is around 2.8-2.9 ish. (2.6*.75 + 3.76*.25)
Your science is GPA is great, but I am not too sure how they would look at your oGPA.

Someone else can chime in, but maybe a masters or smp will help you become more competitive.
That's not to say you will definitely not get in without smp/masters.

sGPA and DAT scores look pretty competitive. DAT retake can be a little risky unless you are confident that you will do significantly better.

if you have upper level bio/chem classes you can take, doing well in all/most of those will boost both your sGPA and oGPA.
Whether to apply this year or not is ultimately up to you. Noone can decide for you.

if you have upper level bio/chem classes you can take, doing well in all/most of those will boost both your sGPA and oGPA.
Whether to apply this year or not is ultimately up to you. Noone can decide for you.

Thanks. Yea, oGPA comes to like 2.95 or something like that. I'm going to be taking anatomy, physiology, and a few others this fall and spring. I've already taken biochem, microbio, orgo 1/2 and got a 4.0 in all of them. I'm not sure what other science classes to take now.
Also, my advisor keeps saying that since I took a few years off, then came back and did very well, that admissions wouldn't put too much weight on my past... Not sure how much I should believe him.
Thank you for the reply!

Thanks. Yea, oGPA comes to like 2.95 or something like that. I'm going to be taking anatomy, physiology, and a few others this fall and spring. I've already taken biochem, microbio, orgo 1/2 and got a 4.0 in all of them. I'm not sure what other science classes to take now.
Also, my advisor keeps saying that since I took a few years off, then came back and did very well, that admissions wouldn't put too much weight on my past... Not sure how much I should believe him.
Thank you for the reply!

If you dont get automatically cutoff by your oGPA i think you will have a chancr to explain to them how you've changed.

Again, youe sGPA is great so maybe they wont be too harsh on you about your oGPA.