Need some advice on shadowing..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JVixen

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I graduated this May with my degree in Biology. Luckily I somehow managed to get a job a month later in this reproductive medicine medical company. I work as a lab technician I run blood samples, do semen analysis, I accession patients and bring them back, and file/enter a ton of paperwork. Anyways..this company allows me to work literally across the hallway from doctors. I am interacting with doctors mainly through email everyday while working here but, I feel like asking to shadow one of these doctors would be a great opportunity because it would let me gain some shadowing experience but also learn more about the company.
I am slightly concerned though because I feel like asking to shadow would be very unprofessional and I do not want it to affect my job in anyway. Also I do not know how to ask to shadow because emailing them from the work email is definitely out of the question. Should I ask or should I just search for outside doctors?

Also I am concerned about my clinical experience..
I have been working at this job and also joined the first aid squad last month..I plan to shadow a doctor or two or three by the time I apply in June 2015. Will this be enough clinical experience or will medical schools look down on me?

Members don't see this ad.

1. I'm not sure how flexible your job is, but when I was working a full-time professional job I was able to shift my schedule around to shadow for 1 morning per week for 4 hours. That meant I came in early or left late 1 hour the 4 other days of the week. You definitely need to talk to your job about it so it's not done in an unprofessional manner if you want to shadow during work hours.

2. Email from your personal email account after hours. Explain that you're applying to med school, work at X hospital, so it'd be convenient for you to shadow there and ask if they accept patients to shadow. Another option would be to talk to the doctor's secretary in person if they're located in the hospital where you work.

3. Every applicant is unique. We can't tell you if that will be enough clinical experience or not. I had only shadowed 1 doctor when I applied, but I worked in a professional job closely with a psychiatrist, so she also wrote me a letter of rec.