Need some advice on some options

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gotcha!

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I've been reading/lurking/thinking about postbacs for a long time now.

As it stands I'm hovering at 2.9 GPA for DO schools (My AMCAS GPA is probably around a 2.6ish because of retaken classes).
When I started college I failed some Prereqs, Gen chem, calc, etc - and some of my preformances haven't been that stellar in upper divisions..

But I'm getting consistent B's and some A's..its getting better. But I'm graduating, and I want to have more of an upward trend before I apply.

As I see it:

1) SMP

Problem: Hard to get into with my GPA, but worth a shot.

problem 2: If I don't get into one, i still have an empty year. I feel like working towards a masters or something besides more undergrad classes (I've already had to do an extra year of ugrad on account of my screwed up grades).

2) Regular Masters - maybe some kind of physiology or something. (excercise instead of regular? - or maybe nutrition)
This way I can take some undergrad classes while working towards a masters, and getting research (I have no research). Bottom line I know I gotta get the BCMP up.

3) Regular old postbac.
Kind of don't want to do this. Ugrad major was physiology, and a lot of the pick and choose postbacs seem to revolve their classes around this.

I'm planning on applying to DO and MD for next year, and the SMP For the fall.

I'm trying to not 'waste time' but better my application simaltaneously.
It looks like a REGULAR masters might be a good idea as a backup to SMP..

I don't have an MCAT score yet....
Banking on acing it. lets see if I can make it a reality in spite of a shoddy early but improving undergrad preforamance.

lastly, I understand the SMP is the all-in move...I guess I'm willing to take it if I can get in one - probably my only shot of actually getting an MD here...
I'm mostly hoping for a DO school at this point - but who knows what will happen...Just tryin to avoid caribs b/c of poor residency outlook.

Thanks a billion for reading and any advice..

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks,
I guess I know that I want to get as many undergrad classes done - but because I was a science major and I'm graduated - it makes it difficult.

I guess I could start looking for classes in majors that are similar but not exactly the same... and take what I can.

Are a lot of you guys working during the process? or are lot of people doing a postbacc sort of full time students?

And i'm probably at 145 semester units now - would another 30 or something with good grades over the course of a year or two really help me out?
Or should I strongly consider international schools (not that I'm not considering them either way)

I guess I'm just looking for a little bit of hope to hang my hat on. That low GPA thread has some success stories in there that I guess I hope to replicate.

Does the fact that my GPA for DO schools is higher help? (Because they take hte higher of the two grades) and is almost a 3.0?

Hey

Firstly,
Thanks for the advice, it's very helpful. I hope they take into account your upward trend after your postbac.

I'm trying to be realistic about this as well, and realize that the Caribs are a viable option for me at this point.

I decided to stop talking out of my ass and calculate the numbers as of late.

So my overall GPA For AMCAS/MD schools is a 2.75 - thats with the unit number I gave you.

However, my BCMP is a stunningly low 2.45 - with 92 units.

So I know schools look at the overall GPA - but with a BCMP that low its obviously worrisome -

It looks like with about 30 credits of semester work, I'd be at a 2.75 with all A-'s (Threw the A- out there just to see)
With a's it would be 2.83...

So Is My next move to just take classes at the undergrad level and apply to an SMP next?
Maybe use a Masters as a backup but SMP should be the primary goal after I get my GPA up to speed?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks again.
I'll definitely try to get the MCAT under control.

Last question:
Is it worth it to retake the prereqs again for DO schools? I've noticed in some threads some people talk about retaking prereqs - But I'm not sure its just because it has been a while since they took them...
How long a period would have to go by before it would look like an acocmplishment to retake the prereqs ? (IE I took GenChem 1 6 years ago so now taking it again isn't a bad option)

I retook some of the prereqs I didn't pass a while ago - before i Knew i wanted medschool - just because I thought thats what you did....dumb I know...large part of why I'm as deep as I am.

Yeah I'm a science major, so I finshed all the prereqs and some upper division science (which is where the better grades were).

My gpa for DO schools (BCMP) is 2.75
If I retake All of general chemistry...and got A's through....it would be a 3.0 for DO schools.
thats just general chemistry..by an large why my GPA is so low, took it and didn't care.

I've got lots of volunteer stuff too that I got going on..but Numbers i know take priority.

Ill definetly try to shoot for SGU or Ross...
But my understanding its better to get into the DO school

I guess your point is that my numbers being so low its a big risk to invest the money and time into an SMP (That i may or may not get into) just on the hope that I get into a DO school?

if you want to improve your BCPM gpa, you have to take UNDERGRADUATE bcpm courses so whether you enroll in a SMP or a regular master's program, the grades from them will make up your graduate GPA. They won't do anything to your undergraduate overall or your bcpm gpa.

For SMP, you need to take the MCAT.

For informal postbac programs, classes are not necessarily all physiology. You can take biochemistry, chemistry, ecology, entomology, genetics, embryology, immunology, etc. I'd look into specific schools and see what they offer. You can do a year or two year's worth of bcpm classes to get your gpa up. Take the MCAT, and see where you stand.

Hope this helps.