Need some guidance. (Community College?)

theorange

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi

I am really interested in pursuing medicine as career. Most of my family is in medicine and I love everything about it. For the last 3 years I have volunteered over 480 hours at the hospital and have shadowed numerous doctors.

However sadly my freshman and sophomore year in high school I did not do well and even in my junior year I just did okay. I can get into a private college but everyone is suggesting to go to a 2 year community college. Problem is no one in my family has ever gone to a community college and my parents oppose the idea strongly. Unfortunately a 2 year college is pretty much my only option. :eek:

If I go to a 2 year college and maintain a good GPA and transfer over to a 4 year college would going to med school still be a possibility? I am confused about what classes I should take at the CC because I heard med schools frown upon science courses taken at CC. What should I do when I am at the CC? Should I keep shadowing and volunteering since I would be very close to the hospital?

I am confused and would like some help. Everyone from my family has all gone to prestigious 4 year colleges then transferred to med school. I am the only one who is going to be enrolled in a 2 year community college.

Anyone here go from a CC to a 4 year school to med school?

Members don't see this ad.

Short answer: Yes, you can go to community college and transfer to a four year university and be treated like a normal applicant. Keep your GPA up at community college, if you decide to go and transfer to your local state university (if you want to stay close/get a degree on the cheap) or apply wherever you want as a transfer applicant. Some community college have programs where it easier for a student to a state university, as *usually* the state university system runs the community college network in the state.

If your GPA isn't that high, do you still have a shot at a state school? If so, it may be a better choice that community college.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's okay to take the prerecs at a community college (I took some). Just make sure you take upper division science courses when you transfer and do well on your MCAT. CC is a great way to save money and finish core classes without huge class sizes, and you don't have to leave home (not sure if you're really young or not)...

Also I just wanted to add, don't worry too much about what you family thinks (not that it isn't important)
I just mean even thought they went to a prestige college and you'll possibly be going to a CC, don't let it discourage you or get to you too much. If your dream and goal is to be in the medicine field, stay focused, be dedicated and don't let obstacles get in your way! :)
It doesn't matter if you go to a prestige, state or CC college as long as you, work your butt off (volunteer, Do well on MCAT + Nice GPA), I'm sure you can get into med school.
Good luck :luck:

Hi

I am really interested in pursuing medicine as career. Most of my family is in medicine and I love everything about it. For the last 3 years I have volunteered over 480 hours at the hospital and have shadowed numerous doctors.

However sadly my freshman and sophomore year in high school I did not do well and even in my junior year I just did okay. I can get into a private college but everyone is suggesting to go to a 2 year community college. Problem is no one in my family has ever gone to a community college and my parents oppose the idea strongly. Unfortunately a 2 year college is pretty much my only option. :eek:

If I go to a 2 year college and maintain a good GPA and transfer over to a 4 year college would going to med school still be a possibility? I am confused about what classes I should take at the CC because I heard med schools frown upon science courses taken at CC. What should I do when I am at the CC? Should I keep shadowing and volunteering since I would be very close to the hospital?

I am confused and would like some help. Everyone from my family has all gone to prestigious 4 year colleges then transferred to med school. I am the only one who is going to be enrolled in a 2 year community college.

Anyone here go from a CC to a 4 year school to med school?

Of course! That's what I'm doing, except I'm taking all my pre-med reqs at a CC which isn't recommended, but you can take a few at a CC if you want.

At a CC take the core courses such as history math etc which is required for every university. Do well and transfer over to a university to finish up your degree and before your senior year at the university you apply to medical school.