Need some guidance in case my plan does not work

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Confusedandlostone

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone from the psychology forum on SDN,

I am posting thread for guidance on what to do with my degree in case I do not get into occupational therapy school(again). My back story is that I graduated with my B.A. in Psychology and was immediately admitted into occupational therapy school(what I obviously originally planned for), however the coursework was too much and I ended up technically withdrawing from my program. I am in a tight situation now, financially, with massive loans to pay off. I hate to say this, but I need to make decent money quickly in order to be financially afloat. I am now open to whatever job I can get with my B.A. in Psychology degree or other masters programs in psychology (that are obviously not extensive and expensive) so that I can pay off my loans and make a decent living. I am going to be upfront with all of you, I do not know much about the field of psychology as I originally wanted it to be a stepping stone to go into my masters in occupational therapy. I am now lost on what to do, I have applied to multiple occupational therapy schools again and I am trying to be optimistic yet I also want to be real with myself and have a back up plan on where to go next if I don't get in. I am merely looking for guidance or ideas on what I can do with my B.A. or get a masters in something in the field of psychology that can help me. My other backup is doing one year accelerated nursing programs.

Members don't see this ad.

If you have a lot of debt, I wouldn't be eager to take on more. If you don't know a lot about psychology, I wouldn't be eager to earn a master's degree in it.

You seem interested in OT. Why not find a job as an assistant or in that setting and pay off your loans?

A bachelors in psych doesn't really open many career doors. A masters in psychology as an end goal won't help your situation all that much really, either. As G implied, your backup should be something that at least interests you. Out of the options listed, I'd go with the backup plan of nursing school. Good portability and job demand.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would think that nursing (RN) would be more profitable and marketable than master's level psychology. Nurses are in pretty high demand, can have flexible schedules, and have a wide variety of options for setting and type of work.

Agreed with the others--in terms of job security and availability, income, and the need to find something now, nursing is likely to be the best bet of the options listed. And if you want to then advance your career later, you can go the NP or CRNA route and substantially increase your earning potential.

A bachelors in psych doesn't really open many career doors. A masters in psychology as an end goal won't help your situation all that much really, either. As G implied, your backup should be something that at least interests you. Out of the options listed, I'd go with the backup plan of nursing school. Good portability and job demand.
lol You got your reply in one minute ahead of mine. You win!

I have a BS in psych, and I have same job description as someone with an MA in psych - No difference in job duties (probably a slight difference in salary), and the MA is allowed to administer certain tests for specific studies that require their psychometrists to have at least a masters degree.

have been wanting to be an OT for ten years but I have not gone because of the loans. Does anyone have any advice about whether this wAs the right decision?