Need Some options

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pianoman511

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I am currently at the end of my rope for what to do with myself in terms of GPA boosters. I had a 2.9 GPA at the end of undergrad with my B.S. in biology. I recently took the MCAT (August 05) and got a 27Q. I have plenty of extra-currics and clinical experience with recommendations from physicians and PAs. What I lack are recommendations from undergrad profs. I tried to take graduate classes recently in the biomedical sciences, but quickly realized that taking two graduate level classes and working full time are not compatible, so that option is out (since I cannot pay for part time classes on less than full time salary). Georgetown SMP advised that my GPA was too low and Drexel needed science professors LORs.
HELP!!! :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

pianoman511 said:
Hello all,
I am currently at the end of my rope for what to do with myself in terms of GPA boosters. I had a 2.9 GPA at the end of undergrad with my B.S. in biology. I recently took the MCAT (August 05) and got a 27Q. I have plenty of extra-currics and clinical experience with recommendations from physicians and PAs. What I lack are recommendations from undergrad profs. I tried to take graduate classes recently in the biomedical sciences, but quickly realized that taking two graduate level classes and working full time are not compatible, so that option is out (since I cannot pay for part time classes on less than full time salary). Georgetown SMP advised that my GPA was too low and Drexel needed science professors LORs.
HELP!!! :confused:

You either need to track down undergrad profs and find one that will write a LOR for you, or else figure out how to fit some additional science courses into your schedule. Needn't be graduate level, just upper level, I would think. Don't see much way around it.

Law2Doc said:
You either need to track down undergrad profs and find one that will write a LOR for you, or else figure out how to fit some additional science courses into your schedule. Needn't be graduate level, just upper level, I would think. Don't see much way around it.

Well, I have tried contacting professors and none of them remember me. Most said all they could do is write a letter stating that I was in their class and i got grade "X". As for taking more undergrad courses, I have already graduated with me degree, would upper level classes help that much ?

Members don't see this ad :)
pianoman511 said:
Well, I have tried contacting professors and none of them remember me. Most said all they could do is write a letter stating that I was in their class and i got grade "X". As for taking more undergrad courses, I have already graduated with me degree, would upper level classes help that much ?

Well, you might be able to push that 2.9 to a 3.0, (a number that has psychological benefits far beyond the 0.1 difference in GPA), which might open doors to more SMP type programs, but I was mainly thinking that doing well in such courses might also give you access to another source of LOR writers.

Law2Doc said:
Well, you might be able to push that 2.9 to a 3.0, (a number that has psychological benefits far beyond the 0.1 difference in GPA), which might open doors to more SMP type programs, but I was mainly thinking that doing well in such courses might also give you access to another source of LOR writers.

If I take more undergrad level classes even though I already have my degree, will it be counted still in my "undergrad" gpa ? Or is it in a separate category ? Currently, that's my real problem - the low GPA.
Thanks

pianoman511 said:
If I take more undergrad level classes even though I already have my degree, will it be counted still in my "undergrad" gpa ? Or is it in a separate category ? Currently, that's my real problem - the low GPA.
Thanks

Yes it will count for your undergrad GPA which is what the previous poster was saying. With a 2.9 it is impossible to get your GPA to a 3.5+ to make you competitive so you're gonna need something else to make you competitive. Some examples are: SMP, a series of A's in super tough undergrad classes showing an upward trend in grades, a higher MCAT score.

Getting your undergrad GPA to 3.0 wouldn't take long at all and will open many more doors. In the process you can get some professors to be impressed by getting some A's and then you have LOR. Maybe then apply DO or go SMP.