Need someone's Opinion ASAP!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KCA116

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I'm a 22 y/o white male with a 3.6 GPA and 22 MCAT. I currently have 2 semesters of undergrad research in Organic chemistry along with a years worth of research with a local orthopedic surgeon who is highly known across the state. I also have worked in a level 3 ER as a tech for 2.5 years with nearly 3,000 hours experience and have received my PALS and ACLS certifications during this time. I am almost positive I wanna pursue Emergency Medicine!

I have recently submitted my application and applying to LSU medical school in New Orleans and Shreveport! I am currently studying to retake my MCAT in 2 weeks. IF my score doesn't improve, I know my chances are very slim. What do you recommend me do as far as Caribbean medical schools and DO medical schools. In my state, the whole DO things isn't accepted quite yet but I know being a foreign medical student comes with its disadvantages too! I have done quite some research on the Carribean Schools and it seems with my current score I have a good shot of getting into quite a few. If anyone is from these schools I would also like to hear about your experience!!! THANKS for any advice!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

It's really late in the cycle for MD schools, so LSU might sit on your app until you're merely competing for a wait list spot. The avg for LSU-NO is 30, and 29 for LSU-S, so you're in the <10th %ile for both of them.

You're fine for any Carib diploma mill as long as you can write an up-front tuition check and are breathing.

Your 22 will hurt with most DO programs as well, but not all. ALA-COM and Wm CareyCOM are all right next door to you.

Good luck on the retake. Why do you think you did so poorly on the first try?

Hello, I'm a 22 y/o white male with a 3.6 GPA and 22 MCAT. I currently have 2 semesters of undergrad research in Organic chemistry along with a years worth of research with a local orthopedic surgeon who is highly known across the state. I also have worked in a level 3 ER as a tech for 2.5 years with nearly 3,000 hours experience and have received my PALS and ACLS certifications during this time. I am almost positive I wanna pursue Emergency Medicine!

I have recently submitted my application and applying to LSU medical school in New Orleans and Shreveport! I am currently studying to retake my MCAT in 2 weeks. IF my score doesn't improve, I know my chances are very slim. What do you recommend me do as far as Caribbean medical schools and DO medical schools. In my state, the whole DO things isn't accepted quite yet but I know being a foreign medical student comes with its disadvantages too! I have done quite some research on the Carribean Schools and it seems with my current score I have a good shot of getting into quite a few. If anyone is from these schools I would also like to hear about your experience!!! THANKS for any advice!!!!

I did well in both physical and biological sciences but verbal not so good lol. I have taken well over 40 verbal tests and consistently scored low. I have tried numerous methods and I really have no idea what Im doing wrong man! Appreciate the advice!

I did well in both physical and biological sciences but verbal not so good lol. I have taken well over 40 verbal tests and consistently scored low. I have tried numerous methods and I really have no idea what Im doing wrong man! Appreciate the advice!

even if you got, lets say a 6 on verbal, that means a 7 in the other categories....
if you got lower than a 6... well it seems like you need overhauled test prep, not just verbal. unless you got 11,11, 0. i dont know if thats even possible