need to get out my prelim year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lakersfan

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I matched into a great rads program but got screwed into a prelim medicine program I really was not expecting to match into. Is there any way I can get out of my prelim program and scramble into a surgical prelim. The prelim med program I matched at is gonna make me work 100 hrs/week anyways based upon what residents told me so I dont care about doing a surgical prelim at this point. Any advice would be appreciated. THanks!

Members don't see this ad.

So, I matched into a great rads program but got screwed into a prelim medicine program I really was not expecting to match into. Is there any way I can get out of my prelim program and scramble into a surgical prelim. The prelim med program I matched at is gonna make me work 100 hrs/week anyways based upon what residents told me so I dont care about doing a surgical prelim at this point. Any advice would be appreciated. THanks!

Agree with above. Remember all that stuff about the match being a "binding contract"? Well by ranking this place you just signed at the dotted line. It's only one year, so you just need to deal with it. Sorry. I kind of doubt any prelim surgery spot still available is going to be a cake-walk anyhow -- the cushier ones (if they exist) would have disappeared last week.

Members don't see this ad :)

Why would someone smart enough to get ionto a rads program be ignorant enough to rank a prelim they didn't want to go to?

LMFAO. Serves you right. :laugh:

Could you elaborate a little on how you "got screwed"

I never understand why people are so mean on these forums... There's no point in saying that "it serves someone right" or to insult someone's intelligence. Everyone just chill out and give people a break already... I'd hate to have some of you people as my doctor.

I never understand why people are so mean on these forums... There's no point in saying that "it serves someone right" or to insult someone's intelligence. Everyone just chill out and give people a break already... I'd hate to have some of you people as my doctor.

Well Smileyy...

If you're slicing a carrot and cut your finger by accident, I've got all the sympathy in the world for you and will tend to your wound.

If you play russian roulette with the knife and your fingers... then cry, complain, moan about accidentally stabbing your middle finger...

The point is, if you play the match game and rank a program you hate, you must be prepared to accept the consequences.

Well Smileyy...

If you're slicing a carrot and cut your finger by accident, I've got all the sympathy in the world for you and will tend to your wound.

If you play russian roulette with the knife and your fingers... then cry, complain, moan about accidentally stabbing your middle finger...

The point is, if you play the match game and rank a program you hate, you must be prepared to accept the consequences.

I think Smileyy's point (or at least the point I'd like to make) is that the OP probably already realizes this. He/she wants to hopefully move past it, not be reminded of it.

I haven't interviewed/ranked yet, but I'm assuming it's a pretty tough decision sometimes. Stress and the unknown or apprehension can cause one to rank programs differently. I dunno.

It seems that people with enough empathy to get into medical school wouldn't treat each other in such a nasty way.

I haven't interviewed/ranked yet, but I'm assuming it's a pretty tough decision sometimes. Stress and the unknown or apprehension can cause one to rank programs differently. I dunno.

It seems that people with enough empathy to get into medical school wouldn't treat each other in such a nasty way.

While that's true, the point the other posters were trying to make is:

- It's well known that the Match is a BINDING contract. As in, once you match, gooooood luck trying to get out of it. If you don't know that going into the Match, you weren't paying attention.

- When they say "Don't rank a program if you don't want to go there," they mean it.

I don't think the other posters were nasty, but I can understand why some people might not feel sympathy for a person who could have easily avoided the situation. And it's just one year - while we all complain, sometimes we just have to suck it up and do what we can to get by.

True. I've accepted that fact that whatever happens prelim year, I gotta do it so make the best of it. It could be a great opportunity to spend a year where I would never have thought about spending time (even though that time will be spent within the walls of a hospital. heh)