Need Waitlist Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WaitListee41

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

Loooong time lurker, first time poster. Long story short, I have been accepted to at least two schools (2 more pending) that rank significantly higher (about 40 slots according to USNWR) than a school I was waitlisted at in January. However, I have a much higher preference to attend the school I was waitlisted at, even though it is technically "less prestigious". It is closer to home for me and is very strong in a quite a few specialities that I see myself highly likely to enter. Additionally, it is right in the heart of the city I intend to practice within.

Can anyone give or PM me advice on how to improve my chances of getting off the waitlist at this school, or any school in general? When should I send and how should I word my letter of intent (I am a strong writer, but I'm not quite sure how to word something as sensitive as this...)? How frequently should I include significant update letters? I am most comfortable sharing specifics about the schools in question through private messages to secure anonymity (just being cautious, please put yourself in my shoes). I would be happy at the other schools I have been accepted to, for what it's worth, but it is not the ideal situation. Sorry if that sounds entitled, that is not at all my intention. Thank you so much.

Members don't see this ad.

Sometime after April 30th (or when waitlist movement starts at your desired school), give your preferred school the reasons you would prefer them to the school that you will be holding at that time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users