nervous about returning to med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beary

Pancytopenic
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Does anybody have any tips for those of us finishing up our Ph.D. and heading back to med school? I am much more research than clinically oriented, so I am not feeling too up tight about doing great in rotations, but I honestly am worried about even passing some of the early ones since I feel like I will be light-years behind the med school class that I will join.

Members don't see this ad.

Believe it or not, every med student at the beginning of M3 year will feel uneasy like you about starting on the wards. Regardless of the knowledge you have in your brain, the wards represent a novel environment for each student. Students , in order to do well, must be able to quickly adapt to this new working environment. Doing well 3rd year doesn't depend on actual knowledge as much as you would think. Enthusiasm, work ethic, and being easy to work with are just as important.

Nonetheless, as an MSTP student just returning to the wards, there will be a huge sense of insecurity. In essence, you have forgotten 90+% of the things you learned many years ago in the first two years of med school. I felt the exact same way. By the time I returned to the wards, drugs had changed. Some of the clinical trials that were going on when I was an M1 and M2 had been completed and I had to learn these new things as well.

My advice to you is to focus on each rotation one at a time. Don't get to caught up on trying to catch up completely to your peers. For example, I started on neurology. So before I hit the wards, I reviewed cranial nerve function and very very basic pathways (pain/temp sensation, proprioception, and motor). I also reviewed in detail the full neurological exam (which I never really used in its entirety). In this regard, I wanted to start on an "easy" rotation like neuro, psych, and family practice. It was a good way to ease back into the clinical mindset. And during these warmup rotations, I still read about the diseases I encountered in the day (well, not really but that's what you're supposed to do).

Now, if your first rotation is surgery or internal medicine, that is a whole daunting task to warm up for. However, the same work ethic applies. If you get a patient, read about the patient, differential diagnosis, and management. 2nd year of med school does NOT teach you management. Step 1 boards do NOT teach you management. Everybody is on the same ground when it comes down to knowledge regarding management of disease so you just have to trudge through it like everyone else. It sucks but 3rd year is just one year.

I'll add to this post if I can come up with any other pieces of advice.

Oh, I would be familiar as to how to prepare an H&P and oral presentations. You can be really smart and know your stuff but if your presentations and writeups look disorganized, then you're in a world of hurt come evaluation time. I suggest Introduction to the Wards by Paul Fine as a nice and easy book to read. It tells you the tricks about being a good med student. There's also a book by Samir Desai (which I didn't read but I heard was good) about the 100 most common mistakes M3's make. I think books like these will be of far more use to you given where you stand right now. Reviewing the cardinal symptoms of pheochromocytoma or MENIIb will be of little use at this stage of the game.

What do you guys think of doing the PhD training before the MD training if you have the option to do so? With all the recent talk about feeling depressed about leaving your medical school class or nervous about returning to M3, I'm starting to think this is a better idea than the 2-3/4-2 split. I guess if your PhD program requires you to take certain courses, do rotations, and teach, the latter model might be a more efficient way of doing an MD/PhD. But if you have the option of opting out of all those requirements, I feel the former scheme might work much better (especially if you already have very strong and focused ideas about what you want to do). The idea is that you would dive into your thesis research right away and finish up the last few experiments and the write-up during M1 and M2. I know doing M1 and M2 first may get you start thinking more like a PHYSICIAN-scientist in your research, but I feel you may get that just by choosing an MD or MD/PhD PI as an advisor. Besides, I feel that you probably won't start applying your MD training until you do research during your residency. What do you guys think are the strong disadvantages of the 4/3-4 model other than that the two trainings are not well integrated (although the 2-3/4-2 model at most schools doesn't seem to integrate both training that much either)?

beary said:
Hi all,

Does anybody have any tips for those of us finishing up our Ph.D. and heading back to med school? I am much more research than clinically oriented, so I am not feeling too up tight about doing great in rotations, but I honestly am worried about even passing some of the early ones since I feel like I will be light-years behind the med school class that I will join.

I hope thesis writing is going well; I am now preparing for my defense or as some call it "the crucible". Although I am still in graduate school, I will be in medical school within a few months. I will start working with a hospitalist to get myself reaquainted with medicine before I hit the core rotations again. I commit a thursday afternoon for just clinical dutieis. I found a willing faculty member, explained to them I was a MD/PhD student and told them I forgot everything I learned during my medicine rotation (the other day when I put my stethoscope on, I had to check to make sure I inserted it my ears the right way).

I stick out in the medical school now because I am older, fatter and my white coat is really yellow. However, the medical students and residents that I meet on my clinical afternoons have been very friendly and they are giving me crash courses in medical pathophysiology (one even said to me "I am glad there are people who are willing to do research because I could never do it").