Nervous upcoming interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

happydo1

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

so I have two more interviews coming up. I should be excited but I’m actually scared sh**less and completely dreading them. Last cycle I had 2 interview invites that ended with one rejection and one waitlist. This cycle so far I had a interview invite early but was rejected a couple weeks later. So at this point I have no idea what to expect . I have done mock interviews , practiced with friends and family and have watched so many interviewing tips videos on YouTube and such. My mock interviewers always gave me high ratings With my only flaw being a fast talker . So I’m not Really sure anymore how to prepare for my next two interviews . Any tips on what else I can do to prepare ? My next interview is at my top choice in a couple weeks and I really really don’t want to blow this one.

Members don't see this ad.

So the first thing you need to realize is that not all schools are looking for someone who is just personable, some schools are looking for someone who fits their mission and vision for the school. I realized this first hand when I applied last cycle, I had an interview at a school where my stats are were above the average. I felt that I killed the interview, but I was rejected. I had to really think internally about what I could have done wrong and I narrowed it down to two things. I talked heavily about how I envisioned myself in a specific medical specialty and I believe I may have come off as arrogant. This was my first interview and I went into it thinking I inevitably had an acceptance due to my stats. I realized you can’t go wrong by saying that you are interested in primary care, but are still open to all fields of medicine. I also had a reality check with the rejection and realized that stats most definitely aren’t everything. This cycle I had a different approach and I am sitting on 6 acceptances. If you get anything out of my anecdotal experience I hope you realize that it helps to be open to different fields of medicine, with primary care being the cream of the crop for 99% of schools, and be humble... also use the primacy and recency effect to your benefit. Go in to the interview happy with a big smile, and leave the same way. They will remember this.

Reactions: 4 users
So the first thing you need to realize is that not all schools are looking for someone who is just personable, some schools are looking for someone who fits their mission and vision for the school. I realized this first hand when I applied last cycle, I had an interview at a school where my stats are were above the average. I felt that I killed the interview, but I was rejected. I had to really think internally about what I could have done wrong and I narrowed it down to two things. I talked heavily about how I envisioned myself in a specific medical specialty and I believe I may have come off as arrogant. This was my first interview and I went into it thinking I inevitably had an acceptance due to my stats. I realized you can’t go wrong by saying that you are interested in primary care, but are still open to all fields of medicine. I also had a reality check with the rejection and realized that stats most definitely aren’t everything. This cycle I had a different approach and I am sitting on 6 acceptances. If you get anything out of my anecdotal experience I hope you realize that it helps to be open to different fields of medicine, with primary care being the cream of the crop for 99% of schools, and be humble... also use the primacy and recency effect to your benefit. Go in to the interview happy with a big smile, and leave the same way. They will remember this.

I agree with all of the above, but particularly the bold text.

When you go on your next interviews:
-Don't have "rehearsed answers." Regardless of the interview format (2 on 1, 1 on 1, MMIs, group interview, etc), they want a genuine answer and if you have a rehearsed answer, it will not come off as genuine (ex why do you want to be a physician?)
-Read up on the school's mission and KNOW it, the vast majority of schools want solid applicants that have the potential to be physicians but ALSO someone who meet their mission
-Have questions for your interviewers, remember that as much as they are interviewing you, you are also interviewing them where you might potential spend 6 figures there studying to be a physician. This will show addition interest beyond the basic of "if you are accepted only here, obviously you are going to come here"
-(sorry if this is an obvious): show up on time, shake hands firmly, make eye contact (eye contact is SO important), wear a business professional suit, do not come off as overconfident or arrogant, treat every interview like it is your last
-Know your strengths, and also when you answer questions have examples too- if the question is "Why do you think teamwork is important?" answer the question and then back up your answer with life experiences (I am an EMT so I always use clinical experiences with patients or working with other first responders)
-Do your research on the school, everything about it and look to see on SDN or other social media platforms if there are descriptions of what the interview is like at that particular school/specific interview questions (SDN has a section for interviews at each medical school)
-If you are a fast talker and that has been your 1 critique, then work on it. Really take a deep breathe (interviewers do not expect an answer immediately after asking a questions, you are allowed to take a little time to think). also do not use "like" in your answers, it is unprofessional.

Those are some of my tips, you may do all of them or some of them, and some of them may seem quite obvious, but you never know!

Also, have a backup plan. Sometimes it takes multiple cycles to be accepted and most schools actually ask you what you would do if you were unable to pursue medicine.

Overall- you got this!! Clearly you have received interview invites so schools believe you have the potential to become a physician, but your weakness may be interviews. See if you can interview with someone who is unbiased and will genuinely tell you if you do not interview well, and how to fix it.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I practiced for my interviews while driving. I put my rear-view mirror pointed at myself and started answering all the common questions as well as school specific questions per the SDN school interview feedback pages. I didn't memorize anything, but made sure to highlight key talking points. I bet if anyone looked in my car, they thought I was crazy. But hey, what else to do while driving? (of course look at the road lol)

Reactions: 3 users
I practiced for my interviews while driving. I put my rear-view mirror pointed at myself and started answering all the common questions as well as school specific questions per the SDN school interview feedback pages. I didn't memorize anything, but made sure to highlight key talking points. I bet if anyone looked in my car, they thought I was crazy. But hey, what else to do while driving? (of course look at the road lol)

This is key. Practice your answers out loud whenever you get a chance. The goal is to make sure your answers sound natural/conversational. Some answers sound good on paper, but sound really stupid or robotic when spoken.

For each answer make sure you hit all the main points. Challenge yourself and see if you can hit those main points in different ways. I had about 5 answers for each 'big' question I could think of (why this school? Why become a doctor? etc.). On interview day I just mixed and matched depending on the situation.

Your answers should reflect the school's mission in some way. Most DO schools emphasize primary care, so be sure to mention an interest in those fields IF YOU HAVE THE EXPERIENCE TO BACK IT UP. Don't say you're interested in "x" field when you have 0 hours in it. It raises a huge red flag.

Make eye-contact, smile/laugh (when appropriate), nod, sit up straight, make hand gestures as you talk. Never make it seem like you're intimidated. Your goal is to take control of the conversation.

A firm handshake goes a long way as well.

Last edited:
Thank you guys for the advice !