Nesacaine spinals?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stone123

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have talked with anesthesia providers who have successfully used preservative-free nesacaine spinals in their practice, as well as read some research on the subject: http://www.anesthesia-analgesia.org/cgi/content/full/98/1/75?ck=nck
It seems like an attractive agent for short, outpatient cases to replace lidocaine spinals and their bad reputation of transient neurological symptoms. I would like to start using it on certain cases, but my collegues think I should wait until more research is done. Currently, I use a low dose (6-7.5mg) bupivicaine spinal with 25mcg of fentanyl for shorter cases, but it sounds like the nesacaine might be more reliable. Does anyone have much experience using it, or have any suggestions on whether I should wait for bigger studies to be done before trying it out. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I have talked with anesthesia providers who have successfully used preservative-free nesacaine spinals in their practice, as well as read some research on the subject: http://www.anesthesia-analgesia.org/cgi/content/full/98/1/75?ck=nck
It seems like an attractive agent for short, outpatient cases to replace lidocaine spinals and their bad reputation of transient neurological symptoms. I would like to start using it on certain cases, but my collegues think I should wait until more research is done. Currently, I use a low dose (6-7.5mg) bupivicaine spinal with 25mcg of fentanyl for shorter cases, but it sounds like the nesacaine might be more reliable. Does anyone have much experience using it, or have any suggestions on whether I should wait for bigger studies to be done before trying it out. Thanks
Did you mean Chloroprocaine?

read about the nesacaine story..

many people used to use it until people used to get severe backaches afterwards.. they took the preservatives out but i think it was still plagued with problems.. I never used the stuff nor will i ever.. If i need a short spinal 5 percent lidocaine is my choice.. then bupivicaine.. nothing else.. once in a great while i will use tetracaine..

Members don't see this ad :)