Neuro Residency Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

monaarts

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if I would be able to afford the time it takes to become a NS... soooo, I have two questions..

#1: Do you have to pay student loans WHILE you are in residency or can you wait until aftrerwards??

#2: What is the average salary for a NS resident??

Thanks in advanced!

-Joe

Members don't see this ad.

monaarts said:
I was wondering if I would be able to afford the time it takes to become a NS... soooo, I have two questions..

#1: Do you have to pay student loans WHILE you are in residency or can you wait until aftrerwards??

Thanks in advanced!

-Joe

1. You can defer student loans while in residency. That is the same for any residency.

2. I would guess the avg salary is around $40,000 or so. It various program to program, and also year to year. In general, your salary increases as you progress through the program.

The starting salaries can be anywhere from $37,000 to $50,000. The salaries are usually from place to place. Most places have the same salary for every specialty. If PGY-1 is $40,000, then the IM and Neurosurg guy will make the same thing.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was under the impression that you couldn't defer loans during residency? There's a grace period during the 1st year for some loans but after that, I thought you have to start paying it back?

monaarts said:

Thanks in advanced!

-Joe
You can defer or forbear (slight difference) your student loans during residency.
Every residency program I have seen pays residents by PGY level. Therefore, a PGY-2 dermatology resident working 40 hours/week makes the same as a PGY-2 neurosurgery resident working "88" hours/week. Pay is as mentioned before; usually $38,000-45,000 starting first year with a $1,000-2,000 increase every year.

Thanks guys!!! I am finding myself loving these forums. They are very fun and informative.. Thanks!

-Joe

Hi all,

Sorry, I would have started a new thread, but unfortunately I have to wait 24 hours after making an account, so I thought I'd try responding to a pre-existing post with my question.

I am now looking into residencies, especially Neurosurgery, but my advisor knows little about programs in particular since it's not a common choice in our school.

I've been looking up some programs, and some are 7 years, two dedicated for research, but the second year you can choose to get a fellowship before your final year as chief resident in neurosurgery. 7 years = residency plus fellowship? Sounds good.

But then I was thinking, are there any 6 year programs that do the same thing? ie that one year of research you can get a fellowship? If so, do you guys have the names of the programs that offer that? I've been looking through a few but so far all the six year ones don't say if that's a possibility, and before I start making calls, I wanted to know if you guys knew of anything.

Next, after rotations, spine looks really cool. I saw the Wake Forest program and they said that their residency offers "fellowship-level" training in spine surgery. What other neurosurgical programs offer heavy-spine training?

Thanks for all your help!

M3goingon4 said:
Hi all,

Sorry, I would have started a new thread, but unfortunately I have to wait 24 hours after making an account, so I thought I'd try responding to a pre-existing post with my question.

I am now looking into residencies, especially Neurosurgery, but my advisor knows little about programs in particular since it's not a common choice in our school.

I've been looking up some programs, and some are 7 years, two dedicated for research, but the second year you can choose to get a fellowship before your final year as chief resident in neurosurgery. 7 years = residency plus fellowship? Sounds good.

But then I was thinking, are there any 6 year programs that do the same thing? ie that one year of research you can get a fellowship? If so, do you guys have the names of the programs that offer that? I've been looking through a few but so far all the six year ones don't say if that's a possibility, and before I start making calls, I wanted to know if you guys knew of anything.

Next, after rotations, spine looks really cool. I saw the Wake Forest program and they said that their residency offers "fellowship-level" training in spine surgery. What other neurosurgical programs offer heavy-spine training?

Thanks for all your help!
6 year programs still have at least 6 months "research time" and most have a year or more after you fulfill all the ABNS requirements. The programs would love for you to do quality research during that time but most will allow you to infold a fellowship with focused training during that time. The only exception is Peds, which is an accredited fellowship and must be done after completing residency.
As for spine, almost all programs provide solid spine training and the need to do a spine fellowship if you were going to go into private practice is questionable. Wake Forest is indeed very strong in spine,partiularly Dr. Branch is very highly regarded and an innovator in the field. Other programs that come to mind as strong in spine include: Barrow, U Chicago, Emory, Miami, UT-Memphis. This list is by no means all-inclusive and I'm sure there are many other great spine programs.

I'm having a similar problem at my school interms of advisement regarding neurosurgery. I was wondering how people go about getting a "mentor" especially if your school doesn't seem to have a neurosurgery program? Any suggestions.

im from jeff, and we have a program.
the neurosurgeons here are impossible to get a hold of, and i sent them countless emails and messages until i finally got one to meet with me.

i assume u go to drexel; upenn has one, maybe it's not a bad idea to go there and do research and get to know the neurosurgeons there.

i got in touch with Ms. Maloney in the department of neurosurgery, and met with her and Dr. LeRoux about research. I resolved to do work here at Jeff since it seems they're more proliferative, and have a lot more cases for data.

iono how receptive jefferson is for kids not going to jefferson; but upenn was very kind and nice, and willing to help. as a matter of fact, Ms. Maloney was willing to aid me in the research paperwork to get me to start as soon as possible.

about an actual in school advisor - i have no idea.

iwantneurosurg said:
im from jeff, and we have a program.
the neurosurgeons here are impossible to get a hold of, and i sent them countless emails and messages until i finally got one to meet with me.

i assume u go to drexel; upenn has one, maybe it's not a bad idea to go there and do research and get to know the neurosurgeons there.

i got in touch with Ms. Maloney in the department of neurosurgery, and met with her and Dr. LeRoux about research. I resolved to do work here at Jeff since it seems they're more proliferative, and have a lot more cases for data.

iono how receptive jefferson is for kids not going to jefferson; but upenn was very kind and nice, and willing to help. as a matter of fact, Ms. Maloney was willing to aid me in the research paperwork to get me to start as soon as possible.

about an actual in school advisor - i have no idea.

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I am going to try to contact both Jeff and Penn. Drexel's "home" program is thru Allegheny General but that's all the way in Pittsburgh and not very accessible. I know there are a few neurosurgeons at Hahnemann-I suppose private practice. I'm going to try to contact them and perhaps since there is no program (and no one from my school has attempted to match into Nsurg for almost 5 years -according to my dean of students) the two will have some time to talk to me. Thanks again. I am definitely struggling trying to get a mentor/advisor---I will probably utilize our neurology department for research opportunities. They seem to have alot going on! I'll update you guys on how I do.

Reactions: 1 user