Neurosurgery Call

llamaoverlord

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Once you finish residency you can practice more or less how you want if you're willing to be geographically flexible and accept a lower income. That being said neurosurgery is not a great choice if you have an aversion to working nights, weekends, and call shifts.

Members don't see this ad :)
You don't have to live in an undesirable place or make a ton less money. It really depends on your "call group," or the group of other neurosurgeons in your area. I know most places just split the on call hours evenly among the groups, but there are a few examples I know of where basically one doctor will take a bunch extra on call nights in exchange for other work flexibilities. This works better with bigger groups like general surgeons, so neurosurgery might be harder.

You don't have to live in an undesirable place or make a ton less money. It really depends on your "call group," or the group of other neurosurgeons in your area. I know most places just split the on call hours evenly among the groups, but there are a few examples I know of where basically one doctor will take a bunch extra on call nights in exchange for other work flexibilities. This works better with bigger groups like general surgeons, so neurosurgery might be harder.

That's the critical difference. Outside of major academic facilities, most private practice groups range from 3-6 up to maybe ten if there's a combo of ortho spine and neuro/radiology endovascular guys. The catch is larger groups tend to also be covering larger catchment areas.

Reactions: 1 user