neurosurgery for an IMG

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chinnaya parimi

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi..
I finished my medschool in India.. preparing for the steps1 and 2. what are the chances for an IMG to match in to Neurosurgery residncy programs in US? And any information about how the 7 year work schedule is like ... how may hrs per week or month... I tried to find that out on various hospital webites but they just say it varies from time to time... any info on how much... and stuff... any info.. any advise please....

Members don't see this ad.

My guess would be that it would be very difficult for you. Most neurosurg applicants have very high board scores, and very high grades. Although you could theoretically match the Step I scores, and the grades, you won't be able to significantly outscore this applicant group. Therefore it will be very difficlut for you to stand out in that group.

Additionally neurosurgery is a VERY small field. My roomie is going for neurosurg and most of the programs he has interviewed at have only 1 position available. Recommendations are key, and that means you have to be a known quantity. I find it very unlikely that the average nsurg PD is gonna give his one spot to an FMG, when there are more than enough US grads with letters, and phone calls from people he may know well and trust.

The way for you to have a reasonable chance would probably be to come to the U.S. and work with some known neurosurgeons who can help open doors for you.

Peace, and good luck.

The way for you to have a reasonable chance would probably be to come to the U.S. and work with some known neurosurgeons who can help open doors for you.

Peace, and good luck.

How to do that?

Members don't see this ad :)
It's possible but very small chance. A friend of mine is currently trying to do this. I personally would just be happy being a doctor in internal medicine. Gotta have goals for sure. That being said you dont' want to end up putting all your eggs in this basket when it may not happen. It's very competitive as the above respondents said. You are not only an IMG you are an IMG from a India so you will have a hard time getting letters of recommendation from US Physicians. Not saying to give up. I am just saying your chances are not looking great. So if you are ok with possibly not doing that and have a back up just in case then go for it.