Never sent a thank you club

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
adamj61 said:
Ok, you have no clue what you are talking about. I have waited 1000's of tables and bartended for several years...I know something about service. Calling to check up on someone is different than kissing ass...why are you trying to justify it, these are different things!

Oh wise one, there is a fine line between kissing a$$ and playing the game. Courtesy and professionalism goes a long way. I guess as a bartender you have probably lit a cigarette for a customer. Did you do it because you were required to per management, because you were being polite and providing service, or because you were kissing a$$? Probably a little of all three, that is how you play the game.

When writing letters, I am always certain to reiterate a portion of our conversation, making comments about myself and them. It shows you were listening and paying attention. People like being paid attention.

Maybe you folks should invest in "How to Win Friends and Influence People." It sounds like you could use it. I guarantee that your lack of courtesy won't cut it in a sales profession. BTW, all professions are sales professions to some degree.

Members don't see this ad.

adamj61 said:
I doubt this hurts me at all...
You're absolutely right! Not sending a thank you letter won't hurt you .... but a thoughtful, genuinely written thank you letter may help prevent dreaded rejection/waitlisted post interview outcomes.

FWIW, I have heard from four schools post-interview. Three acceptances, one rejection. The one rejection was from a school where I didn't appreciate my interviewer very much considering she gave me a whole 15 minutes, criticized my motivation for going to her school, and generally was a bitch the entire time. I didn't feel thankful for the time I spent with her, so I didn't send a thank you note. To my three other schools, I felt the interviewers went out of their way to be welcoming and to make me feel like the time we spent together was important to them. Those people got thank you notes, and I got acceptances.

I don't think I got in bc of the thank you notes, but I do feel that when you appreciate how nicely a school has treated you during this process, it is important to let those people know that their efforts are appreciated. Positive feedback will keep the system going at the high level italready is. And at schools that suck, not receiving thank you notes might tip them off to the fact that they were lousy interviewers and generally unwelcoming people.

Members don't see this ad :)
OrthoFixation said:
Maybe you folks should invest in "How to Win Friends and Influence People." It sounds like you could use it. I guarantee that your lack of courtesy won't cut it in a sales profession. BTW, all professions are sales professions to some degree.

I read that book two years ago...but you are missing the point here. I don't think you see that it could hurt you. Once again, I am not lacking courtesy...serving/bartending is a major sales industry. There is a reason some schools ask you not to send them...they are annoying and obviously fall into the 3rd category you mentioned, simply kissing ass. And since that is so obvious...I think they are only OK in certain situations.

I did not, and will not, send Thank you's simply because it is part of their job to interview us. And in the case of doc's interviewing, if they didn't do it, someone else would. The interviewer that I've had so far spent all of 15 min. talking to me, and 15 min. talking to the girl after me. He didn't do that much. Now, as it's been said before, if someone goes the extra mile, then yeah, I'd probably send a thank you. But otherwise, it's part of their job, and I don't think I impolite for seeing it this way.

akpete said:
I did not, and will not, send Thank you's simply because it is part of their job to interview us. And in the case of doc's interviewing, if they didn't do it, someone else would. The interviewer that I've had so far spent all of 15 min. talking to me, and 15 min. talking to the girl after me. He didn't do that much. Now, as it's been said before, if someone goes the extra mile, then yeah, I'd probably send a thank you. But otherwise, it's part of their job, and I don't think I impolite for seeing it this way.

Not to start anything up, but at some schools, the professors actually volunteer to interview students. At two interviews, the topic actually came up and they do it because they want a say in who they will have in their classes in the future. Also, at another school, the director specifically told us that the interviewers were volunteering their time.

That said, at a couple of schools, I could tell that the interviewers were forced to do it and they couldn't wait to get their "shift in the interview sweatshop" over with.

Btw, I'm pretty sure that almost all student interviewers volunteer for it.

iamgoaloriented said:
I only sent one thank you, and it was a PNC Park postcard (where I work, one of my jobs that is). It was cheap but I figured it'd stand out, and truthfully I just might be the only person appyling this year who would have known where to get one at the time of year.

Since then I haven't sent $hit! Since then I havent gotten any more acceptences either (although U Pitt and Duke arent rolling). If Emory holds it against me then that is gay.

Emory? In Atlanta? The deep south?

Probably not gay.

Oh, by the way, Eminem, some people might take offence to you calling things "gay." People like future colleagues, patients, etc... It would be wise to get out of the habit of using that phrase, regardless of what you (don't) mean by it.

I protest sending thank yous by default and sending letters of interest/intent because if everyone does these things they become unspoken pre-med requirements, like volunteering.

indo said:
I protest sending thank yous by default and sending letters of interest/intent because if everyone does these things they become unspoken pre-med requirements, like volunteering.

Thank you cards are BS! 5 interviews 4 acceptances 1 waitlist (interviewed in April)

0 Thank you's.

Also, no volunteering!

Just compelling reason's why I didn't.

"Given the mentality required to climb the medical hierarchy, it could be compared to an ice-cream cone--you have to lick your way up. From constant application of tongue to next uppermost ass, those few toward the top were all tongue. A mapping of each sensory cortex would show a homunculus with a mammoth tongue overlapping an enormous portion of brain. The nice thing about the ice-cream cone was that from the bottom, you got a clear view of the slurping going on. There they were, the Slurpers, greedy optimistic kids in an ice-cream parlor in July, tonguing and tonguing and tonguing away. It was quite a sight."

Genius!! I'm owt...

Code Brown said:
Not to start anything up, but at some schools, the professors actually volunteer to interview students. At two interviews, the topic actually came up and they do it because they want a say in who they will have in their classes in the future. Also, at another school, the director specifically told us that the interviewers were volunteering their time.

That said, at a couple of schools, I could tell that the interviewers were forced to do it and they couldn't wait to get their "shift in the interview sweatshop" over with.

Btw, I'm pretty sure that almost all student interviewers volunteer for it.

Yeah, I understand that they mostly volunteer, but like I said before, if they didn't do it, someone else would.