New and Hopeless

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lulugirl

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, so I'm toward the end of my sophmore year and I just decided what I want to do with my life.

This is my dilemma, I have about 54 hours under my belt, and my GPA is a sad, sad 2.5 since I wasn't really serious about school.

My question is this, is there any hope for me? How can I possibly pull my GPA up the way I need to and actually get into medical school? Is it possible this late in the game? Any have experiences they would like to share? Anyone been through this? I'm petrified of the fact that I'm going to have to answer for each and every one of these awful grades.

Help, advice anyone? :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

lulugirl said:
Okay, so I'm toward the end of my sophmore year and I just decided what I want to do with my life. I met a Radiologist at my job and she let me come hang out with her for a while at the hospital she works at.

This is my dilemma, I have about 54 hours under my belt, and my GPA is a sad, sad 2.5 since I wasn't really serious about school.

My question is this, is there any hope for me? How can I possibly pull my GPA up the way I need to and actually get into medical school? Is it possible this late in the game? Any have experiences they would like to share? Anyone been through this? I'm petrified of the fact that I'm going to have to answer for each and every one of these awful grades.

Help, advice anyone? :scared:

You can still pull it up if you do great from now on. You have about 66 hrs before you complete your bach degree. Make all A's and you'll have around a 3.3 CGPA and probably an even higher science GPA. Then ace the MCAT or make at least a 30 and that will help make up for any GPA problems. Do all that and you should get in somewhere, esp. a state school because of residential preference. I hear a high MCAT makes up for a LOT.

Good luck

Johnny :D

I would also consider getting a master's degree before applying.

Members don't see this ad :)
Find oldmandave, he has answers for you.

David W Kelley, D.O.
""OldManDave""
KCOM, Class of 2003
Dartmouth Anesthesiology Residency Class of 2008

JohnnyOU said:
You can still pull it up if you do great from now on. You have about 66 hrs before you complete your bach degree. Make all A's and you'll have around a 3.3 CGPA and probably an even higher science GPA. Then ace the MCAT or make at least a 30 and that will help make up for any GPA problems. Do all that and you should get in somewhere, esp. a state school because of residential preference. I hear a high MCAT makes up for a LOT.

Good luck

Johnny :D

Thanks so much, I'm transferring to GSU for the fall from my community college and I'm going to try and start over, I don't mind the work, it's just nice to know I have a shot ...

thewzdoc said:
Find oldmandave, he has answers for you.

David W Kelley, D.O.
""OldManDave""
KCOM, Class of 2003
Dartmouth Anesthesiology Residency Class of 2008

Thanks I will look him up.

Another question, is it worth the trouble to retake science classes you got a "C" in? Or just move on?

lulugirl said:
Thanks I will look him up.

Another question, is it worth the trouble to retake science classes you got a "C" in? Or just move on?

There is a lot of debate about this. In general people will tell you to just move on. I think the way it works is they (adcoms) will average the two classes but both will show on your transcripts. Others say that they will not average the two classes therefore the 1 or 2 extra A?s (if you get them) will be a drop in bucket of the average science GPA.

bust you a$$ in your last classes, kill the MCAT and also make sure you get involved in some good ec's or research. That helps a bit too

I would only retake the sciences you feel you cannot reteach yourself. Those C grades go on your transcript even if you retake them, and some schools such as my university, don't let you retake classes with grades above a C-.

The main thing you need is focus, for focus you need to decide that this is what you really want to. And then give it your all and remember a few B's at first won't kill you but what you're really gunning for are A's. Here is how it happened for me:

After my sophomore year I ended with two B-'s in O chem/zoology and a B/A- in two different GE classes. This was really frustrating because my GPA wasn't even a 3.0 at this point. Over the summer I took two GE classes and got an A and an A-. I now had a 3.0. Then I began to think about medical school, I began to wonder if I really had a shot and scheduled a meeting with a counselor the week before classes started. He told me what to take and devised a plan to take the MCAT in the spring. I was complaining to a friend of mine about how much work I had to do now and how I had no free time. He said something very simple and probably cliche "There's no such thing as free time." My eyes just kind of popped out of my skull, I realized how my low self esteem had resulted in me not caring about how I spent my time. I realized how often I wasted it. The next semester I did extremely well in O chem, off the charts really my grade basically got thrown out so the professor could curve it. In Molecular Cell Biology I did ok, getting a B+, in this class I realized I had poor study habits. And in Physics I had no problems. The next semester and the following two semesters I got 4.0s, skipped the MCAT to take it this year and tacked on a Biochemistry degree to work since I now had to wait another year for medical school. As of now my GPA is a 3.4 from a 2.34 my first semester and just below a 3.0 after my fourth semester. I'm not sure if I'll get in during this round, but I plan to go to graduate school if I do not. I hope this at least inspires you in some way, also from what I understand finishing strong looks really good on your app.

I agree with the others in that you have a chance if you ace your classes and rock the MCAT's. But you have to look in the mirror and ask yourself: If I got a 2.5 GPA at a community college, what are my realistic chances of acing all my classes in my first year at a large public university? I know you say that "you weren't interested in school", but there are many people who are very interested in school and in doing well, but it's not just as easy as saying: "ok, i'm interested, i'm gonna get good grades now". Just my two cents.

TRUE said:
I agree with the others in that you have a chance if you ace your classes and rock the MCAT's.

I hope you just did that to bother me. :laugh: :smuggrin:

to Moderators:

These threads are popping up like everyday now. Shouldn't this be a sticky titled:
For those who bombed first few years of college and are still thinking about medical school, here's some advice...

Either that or make the old Silver Eyes threads stickies themselves.

Medikit said:
I would only retake the sciences you feel you cannot reteach yourself. Those C grades go on your transcript even if you retake them, and some schools such as my university, don't let you retake classes with grades above a C-.

The main thing you need is focus, for focus you need to decide that this is what you really want to. And then give it your all and remember a few B's at first won't kill you but what you're really gunning for are A's. Here is how it happened for me:

After my sophomore year I ended with two B-'s in O chem/zoology and a B/A- in two different GE classes. This was really frustrating because my GPA wasn't even a 3.0 at this point. Over the summer I took two GE classes and got an A and an A-. I now had a 3.0. Then I began to think about medical school, I began to wonder if I really had a shot and scheduled a meeting with a counselor the week before classes started. He told me what to take and devised a plan to take the MCAT in the spring. I was complaining to a friend of mine about how much work I had to do now and how I had no free time. He said something very simple and probably cliche "There's no such thing as free time." My eyes just kind of popped out of my skull, I realized how my low self esteem had resulted in me not caring about how I spent my time. I realized how often I wasted it. The next semester I did extremely well in O chem, off the charts really my grade basically got thrown out so the professor could curve it. In Molecular Cell Biology I did ok, getting a B+, in this class I realized I had poor study habits. And in Physics I had no problems. The next semester and the following two semesters I got 4.0s, skipped the MCAT to take it this year and tacked on a Biochemistry degree to work since I now had to wait another year for medical school. As of now my GPA is a 3.4 from a 2.34 my first semester and just below a 3.0 after my fourth semester. I'm not sure if I'll get in during this round, but I plan to go to graduate school if I do not. I hope this at least inspires you in some way, also from what I understand finishing strong looks really good on your app.

wow, that's amazing....congrats to you! I am completely willing to do what it takes now that I know what I want.

TRUE said:
I agree with the others in that you have a chance if you ace your classes and rock the MCAT's. But you have to look in the mirror and ask yourself: If I got a 2.5 GPA at a community college, what are my realistic chances of acing all my classes in my first year at a large public university? I know you say that "you weren't interested in school", but there are many people who are very interested in school and in doing well, but it's not just as easy as saying: "ok, i'm interested, i'm gonna get good grades now". Just my two cents.

True those are very true words, and it will be tough....I'm with you there.

When I say I wasn't interested before, I didn't even go to class most of the time...I went out with friends.... :(

BigRedPingpong said:
to Moderators:

These threads are popping up like everyday now. Shouldn't this be a sticky titled:
For those who bombed first few years of college and are still thinking about medical school, here's some advice...

Maybe it should be a sticky since apparently there are a lot of people with the same concerns and questions.

Not everyone knows what they want to from square one, but it's great to know it's not too late.