New BDUs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rad-doc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I own the traditional BDUs and was wondering if the airforce has made the switch to the new BDU style...if so , has anyone heard if HPSP students would need to purchase these prior to our summer externships?

Members don't see this ad.

I am not a medical type at this point, but as an Army officer I am pretty sure the new BDUs are Army-only for now.

rad-doc said:
I own the traditional BDUs and was wondering if the airforce has made the switch to the new BDU style...if so , has anyone heard if HPSP students would need to purchase these prior to our summer externships?

Same old USAF BDUs. I wear them everyday.

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe the OP was referring to the new AF-specific utility uniform, which can be viewed at the following link:

http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?storyID=123010638

Originally it was blue tigerstripe, but has changed to a subdued tan/green/whatever.

Here is the original http://www.af.mil/news/story_media.asp?storyID=123005370

Of course, the Navy is also doing the same kinda thing.
http://usmilitary.about.com/od/navy/a/newuniforms.htm
http://www.military.com/NewsContent/0,13319,FL_navy_101804,00.html

I still think the ACU is the best.

JA_Perez said:
And Marines...

Just FYI, the new Army ACU and Marine's MARPAT are slightly different. While both are pixelated, the Army decided to eliminate the black seen in the USMC version. Reason: black is not normally found in outside environments where a soldier might wish to hide, and actually calls attention to the wearer.

Same thing with the black in the current BDUs.

Seeing pictures of Army and USMC troops patrolling in Iraq, and noticing this one distinct difference, I think the Army is correct.

HooahDOc said:

We're not sure what Admiral Mullens was thinking (or drinking) when he approved Task Force Uniform's recommendation. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the current shipboard working uniform of 100% cotton khaki for E-7 and above, and blue working uniforms for E-6 and below (and optional for E-7 and above.)

This new blue/grey digital uniform will practically guarantee a sailor's invisibility in the water should they fall overboard. :thumbdown:

I have yet to meet a single person currently in the USN or USNR who's excited about this. Oh yes, not to forget how officers will have to shell out $$$ for the new uniforms. :thumbdown:

Who are we trying to camoflague (sp) ourselves from while on ship at sea?

I have to say that I think the ACU's are terrible, seriously terrible. Any attempt to make a single set of colors that make you "camoflagued everywhere" will, by definition, make you camoflagued nowhere. In addition, while the principle behind the velcro removeable insignia is good, the practice will be bad over many washings. The placement of the rank insignia isn't particularly good. Finally, taking the branch insignia away from officers is just unnecessary. Wearing that insignia has been something I took pride in since I was authorized it as a cadet in my final year in ROTC. Oh, and the boots suck in wet environments.

Signed, an Army Infantry officer

Unusual1 said:
I have to say that I think the ACU's are terrible, seriously terrible. Any attempt to make a single set of colors that make you "camoflagued everywhere" will, by definition, make you camoflagued nowhere. In addition, while the principle behind the velcro removeable insignia is good, the practice will be bad over many washings. The placement of the rank insignia isn't particularly good. Finally, taking the branch insignia away from officers is just unnecessary. Wearing that insignia has been something I took pride in since I was authorized it as a cadet in my final year in ROTC. Oh, and the boots suck in wet environments.

For me, in a garrison environment, any shortcomings are more than made up for by the fact that there's no ironing or shining of boots. Can't really speak to the tactical environment, though.

I'd still like to feed my beret to my dog; berets in the Army used to mean something. And what's wrong with the patrol cap anyway?

Agree regarding the branch insignia...not really sure why that went away.

I actually prefer the rank insignia placement. I realize now how hard it is to discern the black rank insignia on the BDU collar, which also often has black as a background. I have the same problem with the enlisted marine rank on their MARPATs.

Unusual1 said:

Look at ours, and conclude: you've got nothing to complain about! :eek:

Signed, an Air Force (Reserve) officer

PS: and that's not even counting the neon blue version they TRIED to put over on us! What was wrong with the old ones that a no-iron fabric weave couldn't have fixed?

I think the worst uniform I've seen to date are the navy whites with the shorts and the knee-high socks. That line by Jack Nicholson from A Few Good Men always comes to mind.

Of course, it may have had something to do with the fact that inside those white shorts was a female 05 with a BMI pushing 40.

Pemberley said:
Look at ours, and conclude: you've got nothing to complain about! :eek:

Signed, an Air Force (Reserve) officer

PS: and that's not even counting the neon blue version they TRIED to put over on us! What was wrong with the old ones that a no-iron fabric weave couldn't have fixed?
Agreed...add this to list of reasons I'm glad I'm out of the AF. I do agree with the comment about no-iron fabric, but then again I never wore my BDU's except when I was getting yelled at, so they never got wrinkled on the hanger in between times. :laugh:

I always came into work in civilian clothes, normally the most anti-uniform thing I could find- the bright orange Hawaiian shirt, khaki board shorts, and sandals was a personal favorite :smuggrin: My first sergeant passed me dressed like that in the parking lot one day and goes "Looks like you're enjoying your day off Airman!" to which I replied "Nope, heading to work sir." The :confused: look on his face was priceless.

I would just put on scrubs, and just kept a set of BDU's in my locker in case my commander got bored and decided to liven up her day by finding something to needlessly chew my ass over. I went for a couple of months one time without having put an uniform on.....it was a competition between one of the pulmonologists and myself to see who could avoid having to wear one for a longer span of time.

Signed, a former Airman First Class (I was a Senior Airman for three days until I got busted in rank for trying to give back the stripe- PM me if you want to hear that story)

colbgw02 said:
For me, in a garrison environment, any shortcomings are more than made up for by the fact that there's no ironing or shining of boots. Can't really speak to the tactical environment, though.

I'd still like to feed my beret to my dog; berets in the Army used to mean something. And what's wrong with the patrol cap anyway?

Agree regarding the branch insignia...not really sure why that went away.

I actually prefer the rank insignia placement. I realize now how hard it is to discern the black rank insignia on the BDU collar, which also often has black as a background. I have the same problem with the enlisted marine rank on their MARPATs.

See how long the no ironing thing lasts. The more these things get washed the "worse" they will look. Eventually, CSMs will start pitching a fit and the ironing will return. The boots are easier to manage in garrison and are fine for tactical environments that are dry, but they soon leech water in when used in wet environments. I agree that the beret was an ill-concieved notion and I wish it would go away and go away quickly. the patrol cap is more practical and comfortable in all situations, and too damn many people look like french painters in their berets.

As for the comparison to the AF uniforms, they have always had the worst of the bunch. I suppose I should be glad not to have to wear that stuff.

Unusual1 said:
See how long the no ironing thing lasts. The more these things get washed the "worse" they will look.
I'm hoping not. The Brits have had this for years now, and theirs always looked fine, I thought. And they looked really comfy, too. :)

Unusual1 said:
As for the comparison to the AF uniforms, they have always had the worst of the bunch. I suppose I should be glad not to have to wear that stuff.
Sad but true. At least I missed the airline-pilot look from the early 90s.

In case you wanted to see pictures of the new BDUs:

NewAirForceBDUs.preview.jpg

and

11338.jpg

dear Lord, those things are heinous. hideous. disgusting.

do the belts really go on the outside like that? if so, there are gonna be a lot of fat-a$$ people with their gut hanging out for all to see.

Oh that's just TOO funny! Haha!

deuist said:
In case you wanted to see pictures of the new BDUs:

QUOTE]

Get your information straight before you post. The Smurf-style ABUs are thing of the past. Thank the lord.

BK