New Duke PD: Stahmer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ReUpAnon

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just got a text from one of the Duke Interns --- the new director at Duke is named Sarah Stahmer, the current PD at Cooper in N.J. Apparently it has now been announced so I am going to call later today to confirm.

I heard she's excellent! Anyone got any feedback from N.J.????

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know her, but I heard a lot of good things about that program on the interview trail (didn't apply there myself) so that usually is a reflection of the PD.

Thanks for the news. All good things.
Drakken:D

Members don't see this ad :)
From all accounts (and meeting her a few times) Stahmer is an excellent PD. She ran a strong program at Cooper and has excellent teaching/US skills. She really cares a lot for her residents and tries to foster close relationships among the residents and with the faculty.

Sounds great for Duke (& Dr. Stahmer) - but now i'm trying to decide if/how this affects my ranking of Cooper :(

From all accounts (and meeting her a few times) Stahmer is an excellent PD. She ran a strong program at Cooper and has excellent teaching/US skills. She really cares a lot for her residents and tries to foster close relationships among the residents and with the faculty.

Sounds great for Duke (& Dr. Stahmer) - but now i'm trying to decide if/how this affects my ranking of Cooper :(

Is it possible that they are going to make the assistant PD (Dr. Nyce) the new P.D? I spoke with him a few months ago about a possible PGY-2 transfer. For some reason he was doing the negotiating, not Stahmer, which suggests to me that they may have been grooming him for the position.

the message they sent out says nyce will be the new PD. i think dr.stahmer is excellent, and she was a huge reason that i intended to rank cooper so highly. i'll have to think about it now

the message they sent out says nyce will be the new PD. i think dr.stahmer is excellent, and she was a huge reason that i intended to rank cooper so highly. i'll have to think about it now

I don't blame you. A new PD is always an uncertainty. Coming from a program that had 4 new PDs in less than 2 years, I know first hand.

Just got a text from one of the Duke Interns --- the new director at Duke is named Sarah Stahmer, the current PD at Cooper in N.J.

Dr Stahmer is one of the best program directors you'll find. Duke is very lucky and this is an incredible asset to their program and a loss for Cooper. Stahmer is a superb mentor, knows her medicine, and truly cares about her residents.

JoeG
www.nyemergencymedicine.blogspot.com

Interviewed with her at Cooper, and really liked her (two years ago). One of my fellow PGY-2's was a UMDNJ student and also has had many good things to say about her. She has lectured for our program (Drexel) as it's just across the river, and again, I can't say enough about her. She actually trained in medicine and did a fellowship in cardiology before her EM days, and was grandfathered in. Don't be fooled by this though... she's top in the field, especially in ultrasound, which is her forte in the ER (besides cardiology obviously). She will be a strong asset to the Duke program. Congrats to her and to all the residents she will be training...