new member :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.Dijlah

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am a new member who had joined the SDNF recently,
I have just finished med school and i'll be starting the residency program soon.
I want to have some information regarding postgraduate studies in the US for International students, how can i apply, and things like that.
I am from Baghdad Iraq , are there chances that i might not get a visa to the states because of that?
I would really appreciate it if you can guide me in this matter..

i don't mind spelling or grammer comments :p , english is my second language :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

Dr.Dijlah said:
Hi, I am a new member who had joined the SDNF recently,
I have just finished med school and i'll be starting the residency program soon.
I want to have some information regarding postgraduate studies in the US for International students, how can i apply, and things like that.
I am from Baghdad Iraq , are there chances that i might not get a visa to the states because of that?
I would really appreciate it if you can guide me in this matter..

i don't mind spelling or grammer comments :p , english is my second language :laugh:

Welcome Dr. Dijlah, I think that you will find that there is really a lot of useful info. in these forums -- though it may take a while for you to navigate it effectively!

One thing that I would recommend is that you take a peek in the International Forum. Many of the individuals there will be in a better (more knowledgeable) position to answer your questions. For now, just let me say that, "It's possible that you might be denied a visa for any number of reasons". The fact that you are from Baghdad could work in your favor or against you -- depending on how the State Department is feeling on any given day! I know that that answer may sound vague, but these matters really do fluctuate with the international politics/state-of-affairs/etc....

I'm also thinking that you will have to pass the USMLE Steps prior to beginning any US residency. Those tests are difficult -- even for US graduates -- and the language barrier can make them even more ominous. Therefore, I would encourage you to begin studying for them ASAP, and ONLY study in English since you will be tested in English. It's hard to say how difficult the English will be based solely on a computer communique; however based on your first post, it would appear that you will be fine as long as you continue to hone your English skills.

Again, good luck, and perhaps someday we will be colleagues!

Thanks mosche :) :)