New psychology BA grad/PsyD questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pinkcosmo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I just recently graduated with a BA in Psychology. I'm looking to pursue a program in clinical psychology, but am a little lost on where to start. I have a 3.4 GPA and 1080 GRE (430 V 650 Q). I have research experience and a few years of clinically related experience working as an aging provider.

I was accepted into an MS program here in Baltimore, but it didn't have a strong enough research focus so I decided to take a year off to work and explore different programs some more. I think I don't have a strong enough record to get into a PhD program but I'm looking into MA programs and PsyD programs. I don't have a preference to stay in Maryland and am even looking at some programs in Canada.

I guess I have a lot of questions but my biggest one is about PsyD programs. It seems that many of my professors (who all had PhDs...) said that a PsyD was esentially less of a degree and looked down upon. However, after doing my own research I found that PhD's and PsyD's get the same liscence and the only real main difference is that PhD's are more research invested and students get a lot more funding for their programs. On average, a PsyD doesnt seem to take much less time to complete but looking at my grad schools in psyc book it seems that its MUCH easier to get in and their dissertations are more clinically oriented and there's less of a research demand.

I'm curious to see what all you fellow psyc students think about this =)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm in a PsyD program. PsyD and Phd are equivalent degrees for purposes of being licensed to practice (assuming both are APA or CPA accredited). In general, it's correct that the PsyD is more practce-oriented and places less of an emphasis on research, however you still have to take stats and other research-based courses. Also, different Psyd programs treat the dissertation in different ways. My program requires a dissertation, although it need not be an empirical, quantitative study. Other programs have "projects" instead of full-blown dissertations (this is typically found at the less rigorous and prestigious PsyD programs). PhD programs usually do give better funding than PsyD programs, although this is not always the case either. Some PsyD programs, especially the more selective University-based ones, are funded at least in part. And not all PhD progs are well-funded. It depends. On average, the more research you're willing to do, the more funding you're going to get.

I agree that right now you probably don't have the credentials to get into most clinical psychology doctoral programs. I'd recommend applying to a masters-level program. If you do well there, this will bolster your application to a doctoral program. It will also give you time to learn more about whether getting a doctorate is a realistic option for you.:)

It sounds to me like you may have enough research experience, but your GPA and GRE probably won't make cutoffs. So, yeah, I would recommend a Masters first.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you both for your quick reply!!

I looked at the requirements for the less selective PsyD programs and some of them are at 3.0 and 1000 GRE. I realize they arent as prestigious and have much less of a name but its still a PsyD program none the less. It seems to be the most of them are in Cali/Florida. Some of these PsyD programs seem to be easier to get into then some MA clinical programs! I wonder why this is the case?

I bet the ones you're looking at are mostly in professional schools, like Alliant and Argosy. If you search these among the threads on this board you;ll see some of the problems with them. They're big, their reputations are not as good, they cost a lot, and it's harder to get good internships. But, to be fair, lots of psychologists graduate from these programs and do fine. So the bottom line is that the choice is yours. just keep in mind how much they cost (sometimes 150k) and whether you'll get your money's worth. DEFINITELY DO YOUR HOMEWORK BEFORE DECIDING TO APPLY TO THESE.:cool: