New respect for gastroenterology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mustangsally65

Sally 2.0
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In case anyone missed my big drama in the Lounge :oops: , I had a colonoscopy yesterday, and I have a new amount of respect for gastroenterologists and their field.

I'm still pre-med, but the thought of going into gastro was always kind of boring to me because I figured why would you want to go into a specialty where no one enjoys coming to see you and where people have serious problems that are often chronic and you can't do anything to help cure them?

After spending just a few minutes with my gastroenterologist before the procedure, I realized how important it is for them to be able to put you at ease, and also be able to do their jobs quickly and with skill. I didn't think I could be anything but embarassed and uncomfortable during such a procedure, but I was amazed at how relaxed I felt (before the meds!) just talking to my doc.

Kudos to you all who are interested in the field, and who provide such a necessary service to tons of people. I'm beginning to learn that almost any specialty is vital in getting and keeping people healthy.

It was cool to watch the procedure on the monitor as well. :D

Members don't see this ad.