WAMC Gastroenterology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

potatoman12

Reaction score
Hey all, I was hoping to get some opinions on how many GI programs to apply to.

Some context: USMD at a mid-tier academic IM program. My significant other is currently in the mid-west so I would ideally like to be at any program in that region.

Research: 1 first author manuscript, 6 abstracts, 4 posters

Any insight would be appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all, I was hoping to get some opinions on how many GI programs to apply to.

Some context: USMD at a mid-tier academic IM program. My significant other is currently in the mid-west so I would ideally like to be at any program in that region.

Research: 1 first author manuscript, 6 abstracts, 4 posters

Any insight would be appreciated
Maybe this should be posted in the GI subspecialty forum.

Members don't see this ad :)
Need more info. Like where in country you currently are, do you know if you want to subspecialize or not, and is your research in that. Do you want to do academics or is community hospital ok for training? Is the Midwest region you want in Chicago, cause it's probably tougher to get into those programs. There are lots of good Midwest programs.

Regardless the truth is, it's very tough, and I recommend everyone apply broadly. Best to spend some extra $$ now to save time and tears later. I would communicate very early, well before any interviews, with 2-5 programs close to your SO, and let them know you are targeting that region and motivated to come. They want to only give interview IV to those likely to come.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Need more info. Like where in country you currently are, do you know if you want to subspecialize or not, and is your research in that. Do you want to do academics or is community hospital ok for training? Is the Midwest region you want in Chicago, cause it's probably tougher to get into those programs. There are lots of good Midwest programs.

Regardless the truth is, it's very tough, and I recommend everyone apply broadly. Best to spend some extra $$ now to save time and tears later. I would communicate very early, well before any interviews, with 2-5 programs close to your SO, and let them know you are targeting that region and motivated to come. They want to only give interview IV to those likely to come.
Thank you for your insight! I am currently in the East Coast at a mid-tier academic IM program. I am not looking to subspecialize, but I have research in general GI/hepatology. I would be happy with any program academic or community (my main goal is just to match in the general Midwest area). Would it be a good idea to start reaching out to some community programs in that area?

Would it be beneficial to take a year off and do a year of non-acgme hepatology at a program in the midwest?

No, just apply broadly. I'm not sure what a non- accredited Hepatology year would do to help you. I think you should see if anyone at your current institution knows folks at those other areas and could help you. Otherwise, I would reach out right after submitting ERAS app

No, just apply broadly. I'm not sure what a non- accredited Hepatology year would do to help you. I think you should see if anyone at your current institution knows folks at those other areas and could help you. Otherwise, I would reach out right after submitting ERAS app
Is there a certain number of programs I should shoot for to apply to in your opinion?

Thanks again

No one can tell you that. Really depends on how competitive you think you are. Maybe ask your PD or recently GI matched outgoing residents.

Hello everyone! Didn't match last year but will try again with the following qualifications:

• Non-US IMG, J1 visa
  • Low-tier academic IM program. Currently 3rd year and will do research and clinical work on hepatology next year.
  • Scores: Step 1: 25x, Step 2: 25x, Step 2cs: First pass, Step 3: 23x
  • Research:
    • Publications: 5 GI all 1st author (no case reports), 6 non-GI (1st, 2nd, 3rd and other middle author)
    • Pending 1 publication in GI (1st author)
    • 1 Ongoing clinical trial- 2nd name
    • 14 posters/abstracts in ACG/DDW
  • LoRs: 1 IM PD & 3 strong GI

Any opinion is more than welcomed!

How much of your application is new from last year? How many programs did you apply to? How many interviews did you get? Need a good post-mortem to give you the most accurate info. Meaning, it’s important to know where your application failed last time to see if it’s likely to fail again in the same way. For example, maybe you got 8 interviews and didn’t match. Then it’s more likely than not that you trouble was with how you interview and not your stats. That’s just one scenario.

Best of luck.

How much of your application is new from last year? How many programs did you apply to? How many interviews did you get? Need a good post-mortem to give you the most accurate info. Meaning, it’s important to know where your application failed last time to see if it’s likely to fail again in the same way. For example, maybe you got 8 interviews and didn’t match. Then it’s more likely than not that you trouble was with how you interview and not your stats. That’s just one scenario.

Best of luck.
Hey thanks for taking the time!
Yes, I got a good number of interviews last year (7, to be exact).
Changes in my CV since last year: 4 new publications as first name. 1 more finished manuscript pending decision (as first name). 6 more GI abstracts and posters and 1 non-GI related abstract. Also I believe I will have slightly better LoRs.

Again thank you for your reply!