New to applying.. and freaked out!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thyme

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i'm just about to finish my application.. but I don't know if I am doing ok or not... damn :confused: I am not a strong applicant so I need to finish my application as soon as possible.. (I guess before June..)

I have GPA under 3.0.. and i wrote canadian DAT cuase I am not good at organic.. but better with carving..
RC 18
Bio 17
Chem 22
Sc 19
AA 19
PAT 22
Carving 29
I wrote DAT twice.. (it got better in second time) and planning to take one more in November.. just in case and I heard if you write DAT more than 2 times that's bad for your application..

I filled out all awards, volunteer, work, etc..
but I didn't do anything with Dental experience..
I worked long time in my dad's office and someone told me that I can't use that because he's my relative.. is that true? all this time, I thought I got enough experience.. and now I can't use that..

I read a thread about LOE.. is that true? I only asked 2 people (one prof and 1 dentist) to write for me.. and still have to ask 2 more prof..

i'm scared to death.. that I may get tons of rejection letter..
I would probably get many.. and I am still gonna try..

Good day everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

i think some sections of your dat are definitely above average: chem, pat, and carving. the other sections are w/in the acceptable range, so don't freak out! if you think you can do better, esp. in the science sections to reach 20+ (how much did you improve from the 1st dat?), then definitely take it again! however, if not, i think maybe you could focus on your gpa instead by taking more courses (exactly what i'm doing!).

about your rec from dentists, i'm in the same situation. i called some schools and actually, many do accept recs from relatives. it's just that your relatives cannot evaluate you, but they can verify the type of work you've done during your shadowing experience. i am currently looking for another non-relative dentist to shadow, but it will definitely put my application at a disadvantage because i won't receive a rec until later, so it's a hard decision for me, too!

about recs in general, i think you need 3 for most schools, but double check individual requirements from their websites, which is the most accurate source for info.

gluck w/ everything! i am a reapplicant and received 20+ rejections last year. but hey, if you really wanna do it, everything is worth is, you know?:D

i think some sections of your dat are definitely above average: chem, pat, and carving. the other sections are w/in the acceptable range, so don't freak out! if you think you can do better, esp. in the science sections to reach 20+ (how much did you improve from the 1st dat?), then definitely take it again! however, if not, i think maybe you could focus on your gpa instead by taking more courses (exactly what i'm doing!).

about your rec from dentists, i'm in the same situation. i called some schools and actually, many do accept recs from relatives. it's just that your relatives cannot evaluate you, but they can verify the type of work you've done during your shadowing experience. i am currently looking for another non-relative dentist to shadow, but it will definitely put my application at a disadvantage because i won't receive a rec until later, so it's a hard decision for me, too!

about recs in general, i think you need 3 for most schools, but double check individual requirements from their websites, which is the most accurate source for info.

gluck w/ everything! i am a reapplicant and received 20+ rejections last year. but hey, if you really wanna do it, everything is worth is, you know?:D

hey. thanks ^^ I hope every thing will work out.. for all the people.. (ideally..)
I am getting rec from another dentist anyway.. so.. it won't be a problem..
but I don't have any prof to ask for rec.. especially.. that they need to know me well.. but I am trying to ask anyone.. willing to write one for me..
and maybe I should call all the school that I am applying to see if they take my shadowing/ volunteering experence from the relative too like you did!

from 1st dat to 2nd one, bio droped 1.. chem.. went up 3, PAT went up 4,
RC the same, Sc and AA went up 1, and.. Carving went up 6..
so maybe if I try one more time in November to pull up my science and AA i guess it's ok..

NEways.. thanks and Good luck to you!:laugh: