New to pre-DDS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medicalmnt

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been pre-med for as long as I can remember but I'm curious as to what makes a competitive pre-dental applicant. I've been thinking about pre-dental but never really jumped into it as I have with pre-med.

I'm currently a junior @ VA school (VA resident)
3.4 gpa with all of my pre-reqs out with (screwed up freshman year).
-freshman - 3.1
-sophomore - 3.6
-summer (7cred) - 4.0
I'm hoping that my upward trend can keep it in it and I'm hoping for a ~3.8 this semester/year.
I've done some research, volunteer @hospital,hospice,community, tutored, bluecollar jobs, clubs/sports. I know people say that pre-dental requires an insane # of hours but I'm dedicated to get them if needed.

If I were to end this year with and bring my cGPA to a 3.5-3.6, get about ~150 hours of shadowing, and hopefully get a ~19 (or average matriculate #) on the DAT... is there a chance for me at DDS?

Members don't see this ad.

another cant goto medical school so ill goto dental school post

You've said something similar on another thread. What is the need to downplay a persons wish to change fields?

OP - Keep your GPA up and write out the reasons you decided to switch. If you can incorporate that into your personal statement as a story, that should def. catch the Adcoms attention.