New to SDN - chances for third time applying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

md_do_hopeful2021

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

This is my first time and I have been a long time lurker on the forums. I am a CA resident and went to a private school in Southern California. I applied the first time and did not get a single invite :( I had a MCAT score of 27 and a GPA of 3.40 overall with 3.3 science with an upward trend. My freshman year was a huge adjustment period and I did not know what I was really doing and received poor grades. I worked hard and got involved with volunteer work at the hospital and joined a research lab. I did both for two years. I tried taking the MCAT again but this time I took the new test thinking I could do better because of the social sciences added in because I majored in sociology. I ended up with a 507 which is hardly any move from my old one :/ I ended up with a few interviews but waitlisted at them all. It is really hard to muster up the courage to apply a second time I felt so defeated and I did even more volunteer hours and started a new internship working with refugees. Is there anything else I should do? I was thinking of retaking the MCAT but I'm worried I will score the same or even lower. Thank you!!!!!!!

Also to add in I worked as a scribe for a few months but I then go the internship working with refugees resettling in Southern California. Thank you all again!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I did. I applied to all of the UC's, Western, AZCOM, Des Moines, Nova, Loma Linda, USC, and California Northstate. CN was this past cycle. The first time I only applied to UCs and was really not thinking realistically then I applied to DO the second time

Members don't see this ad :)
I did. I applied to all of the UC's, Western, AZCOM, Des Moines, Nova, Loma Linda, USC, and California Northstate. CN was this past cycle. The first time I only applied to UCs and was really not thinking realistically then I applied to DO the second time
You deserve better than CN"U." They seem to be targeting higher MCAT CA applicants who don't apply strategically. You are a long shot at the other CA schools, even with a better MCAT on the third try.
A broad DO application would yield fruit without another re-take. Do you have a DO letter?

Reactions: 1 users
You deserve better than CN"U."
A broad DO application would yield fruit without another re-take. Do you have a DO letter?
I have been reading a lot on the apprehension for them lol. I do have a DO letter, I shadowed a DO family physician this past year. With just a broader scope, you think I will be competitive? Thank you so much for the advice!!

I have been reading a lot on the apprehension for them lol. I do have a DO letter, I shadowed a DO family physician this past year. With just a broader scope, you think I will be competitive? Thank you so much for the advice!!
I really do.

Reactions: 2 users
Where are you on the wait list? You should be able to receive a DO acceptance if you apply broadly. Apply to at least 15 DO schools and include these:
ATSU-SOM
BCOM
ACOM
WCU-COM
LMU-DCOM
UP-KYCOM
MU-COM
WVSOM
CUSOM
VCOM (all 3 schools)
Apply to any others you are interested in.

take all the advice above, think about school choice and all that. I know you're worried about the test but honestly if you can, just double down on the admissions test. Continue with your EC's; this will add more hours when you update letters for the next application. Think about a master's in public health or some other science field that lights your fire.

If you are feeling like "if it hasn't happened now; then it won't".... you're wrong. It can if you want it. I don't know you; so that's not a challenge to you. Just keep with it if you decide you really want to.

It's possible. Take it from a twice-rejected, third time-accepted, now third year student. Best of luck!

P.S. your UG GPA was better than mine