WAMC ORM 513/3.7 from TX, Third time applying. Should I include DO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gydirk

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
  1. Biochemistry Major with cGPA 3.73 and sGPA 3.6
  2. MCAT score: 513
  3. US citizen, and resident of Texas
  4. Asian
  5. Clinical experience - 300+ hours of hospital volunteering,
  6. Work Experience- MA, Pharmacy Tech, Tutor/Workshop facilitator, Community Health Worker
  7. Research experience - 1 poster, 400+ hours total through a summer research internship at my university
  8. Shadowing experience 100 hours
  9. Other extracurricular activities:
    1. Community service: Volunteered in and served in student organization leadership roles focused on community health projects in my city for 400+ hours and continued volunteering at a local homeless shelter.

In my previous cycles I have only applied in Texas due to OOS bias: 2019 - ii to 2 schools and waitlisted to both, 2020 - I had one ii and waitlisted again. Since my graduation in 2020, I have been a caretaker for a sick family member and began working as a full-time community health worker and resuming clinical volunteering again.

Current cycle: I have rewritten and submitted things earlier this time (the last Texas secondary was completed by the end of June, holding one II as of now) and also decided to apply to OOS schools after being nudged by family to do so and submitted secondaries to MCW, Vermont, Wake Forest, Wayne, VCU, NYMC, Quinnipiac. I'm looking for recommendations if I should continue completing more secondaries to OOS but honestly, I'm getting broke and burnt out. Should I just switch gears and look towards applying to DO school instead of completing secondaries on the rest of my school list? If so what schools should I apply to?

Current School list:
Baylor
UT Long
UTSW
UTMB
McGovern
TAMU
UHCOM
TT Lubbock
TT PLFSOM
TCOM
SHSU
UT Tyler
TCU-UNTHSC SOM

OOS Schools:
Albert Einstein
Creighton
EVMS
Quinnipiac
Hackensack
MCW
Morehouse
NYMC
Cincinnati
Georgetown
Tufts
Wake Forest
Miami Miller
Vermont

Members don't see this ad.

Complete all the secondaries for your Texas MD schools. OOS MD schools interview very few Texas applicants with your stats since they know from years of experience that Texas applicants will attend a Texas school. You would be better off applying to DO schools (which do not have that bias0
As a 3rd time applicant you should apply to DO schools and I suggest these:
TCOM
SAM HOUSTON STATE
UIWSOM
OSU-COM
TUNCOM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
DMU-COM
MU-COM
ACOM
PCOM