New to the forum

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lacrosse84

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I just wanted to introduce myself to the forum. I am starting my third year at NYCPM and I will be more then happy to answer any questions any of you have about the school.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys I just wanted to introduce myself to the forum. I am starting my third year at NYCPM and I will be more then happy to answer any questions any of you have about the school.

Hello, nice to meet you! I'm heard something from a guy at NYCPM that the administration is going to require students to take the COMLEX in a few years. I was surprised to hear this since NYCPM still accepts the DENTAL ADMISSIONS TEST (or at least they did up till last year). I'm curious if there is any truth to this information One thing that doesn't make sense is podiatry is more or less similar to an allopathic sub-speciality and I don't see the connection with osteopathic medicine (at all). DO's always practiced full body medicine before they got full practice rights in 1971 (or 73). If pod students would take ANY medical examination at all, I would think it would be the USMLE. Furthermore, COMLEX has a section covering osteopathic manipulative medicine and I don't think any of the pod schools teach full body OMM (maybe lower extremity OMM at DMU).

There have been argument on these forums on what is hoped to be obtained by taking either the USMLE or COMLEX. Say a majority of the pod students do bad on the exam, it will look bad for the profession and especially in the eyes of our MD/DO counterparts. The admissions standards at a few of the pod schools are ridiculously lax...and I would be afraid to see what some students would score on the USMLE/COMLEX. It will definitely be rough when it comes to state scope issues. Do we want to write the exam just for the sake of taking it? Some pre-pods may think by taking this exam, one could backdoor their way into a internal medicine/gen surgery/etc residency. I'm curious of your thoughts on this.

I have also heard news about the potential USMLE/COMLEX test. Our curriculum has very few differences between DO and MD schools (psychiatry, ob/gyn courses and a few others). I feel the only problem may arise is that our current curriculum is geared to the National Boards for Podiatry. I do feel that if our curriculum is slightly adjusted in order to accomodate the USMLE/COMLEX test I feel that we will in turn match up to our fellow DO/MD counterparts.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have also heard news about the potential USMLE/COMLEX test. Our curriculum has very few differences between DO and MD schools (psychiatry, ob/gyn courses and a few others). I feel the only problem may arise is that our current curriculum is geared to the National Boards for Podiatry. I do feel that if our curriculum is slightly adjusted in order to accomodate the USMLE/COMLEX test I feel that we will in turn match up to our fellow DO/MD counterparts.

You think the middle/bottom chunk of students are gonna match the average USMLE/COMLEX scores of DO/MD? I'm not trying to be a dick but the admissions standards are pretty lax to begin with (and not just at NYCPM). We have people still taking the DAT and GRE to become accepted into some pod schools. Furthermore, nationally, only 82% of students are passing our OWN podiatry examinations. I feel its a bit farfetched for all the pod schools to agree and to implement this, especially those which are not affiliated with an actual university or medical school. I could maybe see AZPOD/DMU/Western doing something with COMLEX but it is gonna get sketchy with the others. Temple and Rosalind Franklin would be interesting because their uni offers the MD degree so I'm not sure it they would allow their students to sit for an osteopathic exam. MD students cannot sit for the COMLEX, but DO students can sit for the USMLE and COMLEX.

hey guys, i'm new to this site and still a soph in college......i was thinking about either doing MD/DO or Podiatry and was wondering, are the first round of boards for both professions the same? I know you take the USMLE or something for MD, but I was wondering about for podiatry....thanks!

hey guys, i'm new to this site and still a soph in college......i was thinking about either doing MD/DO or Podiatry and was wondering, are the first round of boards for both professions the same? I know you take the USMLE or something for MD, but I was wondering about for podiatry....thanks!

National Board of Podiatric Medical Examiner (NBPME) Part I. It is very similar to the USMLE (many use USMLE materials to study for it) but the test has general anatomy questions and lower extremity anatomy.

Find out more info here:

http://www.nbpme.info/Exams.htm

Big difference to note...the podiatry exam is PASS/FAIL while the USMLE is not! (at least part 1 and 2)

Big difference to note...the podiatry exam is PASS/FAIL while the USMLE is not! (at least part 1 and 2)

Just wanted to add more info: many MD students who i have spoken to said that in medical school the only thing matters is USMLE scores for their residency. And in Pod school the GPA plays a very crucial role during residencies.

Let's just stick with our own examination shall we? You guys do realize the USMLE is a 4 part test and only part 1 is similar to our part 1. So we're going to complete 1/4 USMLE to be on par with these guys? Podiatry is doing just fine and has improved significantly over time. We don't need MD behind our name or to take the USMLE, we need to graduate more and more 3 year surgical pods who go out in the field and do kick ass surgeries and F&A care. After time, they will see. Patience, grasshoppa...

Let's just stick with our own examination shall we? You guys do realize the USMLE is a 4 part test and only part 1 is similar to our part 1. So we're going to complete 1/4 USMLE to be on par with these guys? Podiatry is doing just fine and has improved significantly over time. We don't need MD behind our name or to take the USMLE, we need to graduate more and more 3 year surgical pods who go out in the field and do kick ass surgeries and F&A care. After time, they will see. Patience, grasshoppa...

Either I am too drunk at the moment or u make a lot of sense! :thumbup:

how far and how long is the med school from Manhattan?

Members don't see this ad :)
hello everyone. I am also new to this site.
NYCPM is in Manhattan. Manhattan is made up of many neighborhoods such as Times Square, SoHo, The Village, or Harlem, where NYCPM is located. Harlem is from 96th Street to the top of Manhattan.

Google maps you can click the terrain button to see where the steep hills are, then click the traffic overlay to identify the 'red' routes, and then click on the ghetto overlay to see exactly where the hoods are at...... then run like hell :)

too bad i can't find the ghetto overlay :p

where are the majority of the students from?
east coast or all over the us?

where are the majority of the students from?
east coast or all over the us?
Do you mean, where are all the NYCPM students from? If so, all over. I think a lot are from NY but when I went to their open house, I met at least five people from states all across the US. They said that they have about 30% from out of the tri-state area. That's kinda low, right? I'm going to try to get to one of Temple's open houses soon. Any idea how many out of staters they have? How about Ohio?

Do you mean, where are all the NYCPM students from? If so, all over. I think a lot are from NY but when I went to their open house, I met at least five people from states all across the US. They said that they have about 30% from out of the tri-state area. That's kinda low, right? I'm going to try to get to one of Temple's open houses soon. Any idea how many out of staters they have? How about Ohio?

pretty much all of OCPM is out of staters

sorry, i meant to say where are NYCPM students from?
just curious since i'm from ohio.