New York Presbyterian Hospital Residency Reviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can anyone who is a current resident or recent graduate comment on whether dictation is available to residents at either campus (Dragon or whatever software doesn't matter, just whether residents can dictate notes)?

Dude. You missed the forest for the trees. Would it be great to have? Yes. Should it have any relevance to your rank list? Absolutely not.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
im just giving you a hard time. I don’t get why folks do neuro CC, but to each his own.

Probably not too different from why people do CCM. Interest in treating a sicker patient population, liking ICUs as a work environment, etc. I considered both CCM and NCC as fellowships, but ended up choosing NCC for a number of factors, but mostly just good experiences in a NSICU in residency. I like that its a narrower niche than CCM. The IM pathway to CCM seemed like it would be taking care of too many multi system train wrecks that weren't in a great place before their critical illness. I liked the 'somewhat healthy until most recent catastrophe' patient population of SICU, but being so dependent on surgeons for the rest of my career seemed a pretty big negative. Neurocrit has a bit of both: it's like an open ICU for the neurosurgery cases (SAH, big strokes), but like a closed ICU for the 'medical' cases (status epileptics, meningitis, myasthenic crises).

1. This seems to be the case in NYC. EM folks seem to either have generational money or be first generation college grads with major scholarships. The salaries are so low docs seem to either need to be grateful for an indoor job or wealthy enough money is irrelevant.

2. You do your own splints? As an attending? That's a poor use of resources IMHO. Ortho is pretty easy to pick up in any case. Glad it worked out.

3. Congrats. EM in NYC is def a losing proposition. A much better choice. Good for you.

4. That sounds fun and I want to work there.

5. Might only be true in certain markets. Don't know. We haven't had any C/C applicants, but have had trouble with grads from other "renowned" NYC programs. Glad it worked out for you.

Which renowned EM program if you don’t mind me asking?

My fiancé and I have 1 NYC program on our list, and while I’d rather do literally anything else than spend an extra year letting 400k of debt fester while living in a shoebox in the most expensive city in the US, she has her heart set on NYC so it’s drifted to somewhere in the middle of our list.

Currently the programs one saving grace is that they seem to provide excellent training.

Which renowned EM program if you don’t mind me asking?

My fiancé and I have 1 NYC program on our list, and while I’d rather do literally anything else than spend an extra year letting 400k of debt fester while living in a shoebox in the most expensive city in the US, she has her heart set on NYC so it’s drifted to somewhere in the middle of our list.

Currently the programs one saving grace is that they seem to provide excellent training.

I'd rather not say. Why don't you say which program she's ranking and I can maybe give you my thoughts on that program? I'd say Kings County gives good training, although not in flow or customer service, obviously.