Newb questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ani007

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey everyone I just had some quick questions:

1) When you retake a class both grades are averaged for dental schools right?

2) Exactly when is the DAT taken and when do you apply? I am currently going into my 3rd (junior year) and I won't be ready until last qrtr because I am still taking ochem. So does that mean I have to take it senior year? I thought people apply only junior year though.

3) For dental whats more important research or work experience (internships, shadowing, etc) and how do you go about securing something like this??

Sorry for the questions but I am going into my junior year and chose dentistry a little late so I am behind the pack. Any other useful information based on your experience would be great. Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

ani007 said:
hey everyone I just had some quick questions:

1) When you retake a class both grades are averaged for dental schools right?

2) Exactly when is the DAT taken and when do you apply? I am currently going into my 3rd (junior year) and I won't be ready until last qrtr because I am still taking ochem. So does that mean I have to take it senior year? I thought people apply only junior year though.

3) For dental whats more important research or work experience (internships, shadowing, etc) and how do you go about securing something like this??

Sorry for the questions but I am going into my junior year and chose dentistry a little late so I am behind the pack. Any other useful information based on your experience would be great. Thanks! :)

1. Correct. The grades are averaged.

2. The DAT should be taken, ideally, PRIOR to submitting your AADSAS application to schools, or at the same time (within 2-3 weeks of submitting). You will submit during the summer prior to your senior year, so it is ideal to take the DAT in April or May or June, then apply, then begin your senior year. In your case, you'll be fine. You have roughly a year until you need to apply.

3. It varies from school to school. The big thing is to get involved in what interests you. If you don't like research then don't do it.

:thumbup: thanks gavin appreciate the response. as far as interning my dad is a dentist and I don't really want to work with him because I don't think that would be professional. How do you go about approaching another dentist? or what resources do you use to find these internships, etc?

ani007 said:
:thumbup: thanks gavin appreciate the response. as far as interning my dad is a dentist and I don't really want to work with him because I don't think that would be professional. How do you go about approaching another dentist? or what resources do you use to find these internships, etc?

It was hard for me to approah dentists at first as well. I wanted a job as a dental assistant because I thought that would increase my chances of getting in. However, unlike most dental assistants, I had not gone to technical school to get a degree in that, b/c it was never my goal to become a DA, However, I began sending resumes out to local dentists explaining my position. I knew they would see my degree and realize my long-term goal was not to become a DA, so I was honest and told them of my desire to go to dental school....it was my hope that I would find one sympathetic to my situation and hire me because they remembered how hard it was to get in to school. I am happy to report my efforts were successful; I am now working in a dental office as an assistant. Although, don't get discouraged if you don't get a position right away, it took me several months.

Also you could still use your dad to help you. If he is a dentist in the area you want to intern at I am sure that he has friends that he can set you up with. While I agree working with your dad would probably not impress the admissions board, it is not bad to have him help you find a spot. Knowing people in the field is a huge advantage over those of us who don't.

Good luck