Newbie Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

msting22

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many hours per week do Family Practice residents work ????? This was not covered in the Sticky FAQ!!!

Members don't see this ad.

msting22 said:
How many hours per week do Family Practice residents work ????? This was not covered in the Sticky FAQ!!!

With the new law in effect since July, 2003, programs are required to observe the 80-hour a week rule. That's nationwide.

NuMD97 said:
With the new law in effect since July, 2003, programs are required to observe the 80-hour a week rule. That's nationwide.
It's 80 hours a week, end of story? I thought that was just a rule to put a cap to the hours residents can be worked.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's 80 hours averaged over 4 weeks. So you can work 100 hours for two weeks and 60 for two weeks, and still be within the guidelines.

That being said, FP residents (at least the ones I have talked to during my interviews) say they have always been at the eighty hours or below. I think for most FP residents the work week is 60-70 hours.

DOtobe said:
It's 80 hours averaged over 4 weeks. So you can work 100 hours for two weeks and 60 for two weeks, and still be within the guidelines.

That being said, FP residents (at least the ones I have talked to during my interviews) say they have always been at the eighty hours or below. I think for most FP residents the work week is 60-70 hours.

Dr.,

You wouldn't be DO "to be" anymore when you graduate... congratulations!

Thanks dr_almondjoy_do! :D

I'm excited that it will all be over soon, but at the same time, I feel like :scared: