Newborn red reflex

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doowai

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can you use a penlight to check a newborns red reflex or do you have to use an ophthalmoscope?

Members don't see this ad.

Can you use a penlight to check a newborns red reflex or do you have to use an ophthalmoscope?

I have seen a nurse practicioner, and pediatric residents too, use a penlight with the door closed, I think that the thinking is that it will be obvious if there is leukocoria, . . . however, I did see a pediatrician use an opthalmoscope to do it, and really got a good look, I would think that an opthalmoscope is better as when I do it with an opthalmoscope you can really see retina and are reassured there is no visual opacity, unlike the deer in the headlights method, which does have supposedly a fair sensitvity, but I bet not as good sensitivity as the opthalmoscope. Google Red reflex and you can see that it would hard to miss the obvious cases with the pen light method.

if you are going to do it, you might as well do it right.

a true red reflex exists when the patient and the examiner's eyes are coaxial, such as with a direct ophthalmoscope. there are some conditions in which light rays exit the patients eyes in a divergent manner, such as very high hyperopia or large intraocular tumors, and a good penlight exam would pick this up.

but using the direct ophthalmoscope will be faster (assuming you have one) and you will be more confident in declaring a postitive or negative finding. and your friendly ophtho colleagues like myself will love you for it.

Members don't see this ad :)
if you are going to do it, you might as well do it right.

a true red reflex exists when the patient and the examiner's eyes are coaxial, such as with a direct ophthalmoscope. there are some conditions in which light rays exit the patients eyes in a divergent manner, such as very high hyperopia or large intraocular tumors, and a good penlight exam would pick this up.

but using the direct ophthalmoscope will be faster (assuming you have one) and you will be more confident in declaring a postitive or negative finding. and your friendly ophtho colleagues like myself will love you for it.

Is a direct opthalmoscope the same thing as the pocket welch allyn opthalmoscope powered by simple pen light batteries and visualling blood vessels in the retina?

One thing I noticed as an intern on my nursery month last year...

The other intern and I were both complaining about how difficult it was to see a good red reflex on anyone. I was thinking about it and I realized that we both wear glasses, and sure enough, both of us had gotten the standard "anti-glare" coating on our lenses. The red reflex is really a reflection... in other words, glare. When we removed our glasses to check the RR, it became a whole lot easier.