Newenco!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SuzQ120

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I got home from school today and got my acceptance letter to NEWENCO!!! YAY!!! So excited.

I know that the school is very expensive, however, I am definitely living at home for the first two years, if not three. I can't justify spending the money on housing when I can go to a school 20 miles from my home.

Did anyone else hear from NEWENCO or any other schools yet?

Members don't see this ad.

:clap: congrats

damn, i must live on SDN...3 posts in a row :rolleyes: :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats SuzQ120!

I got a letter from NEWENCO earlier this week and also got accepted as well! I was very impressive with their application process because they give me an answer so quick! But unfortunately, my decision is set for ICO right now so I'm afraid I have to turn them down. Unless I hear a decision from SCO, which is where i really want to go, ICO is where I reserved my place for now. Good Luck to you at NEWENCO! Congrats once again! :clap:

Hey eyedream

Congrats to you as well!!! :clap:

Do you know when you will here from SCO? Will you live it at home too? When was your NEWENCO interview?

Congrats again and let us know when you get into SCO!

SuzQ120,

I will hear from SCO again when my October OAT score comes in, any days now. They said my interview and everything went well and that they just wanna see my OAT improved a little than what i had before. Yes, I will conveniently live at home and drive about 15 minutes to SCO :) , if i get accepted into SCO. Otherwise, 9.5 hours from Chicago is wut i end up driving if i go to ICO.

My NEWENCO interview was November 7. I don't know if you were 1 of the 20 that day. I did post some comments about that interview at another forum earlier, scroll back if you wanna read.

So looks like you are set for NEWENCO eh? That's great. I love everything about that school except the tuition. Good luck :cool:

Eyedream

hi

my interview was October 31. I'll have to go back and find your other post. I will be living at home too, helping to alleviate that lovely tuition that goes with NEWENCO! I will atleast for the first few years and then if it becomes to much of a hassle with clinicals, I can always make other arrangements. I will just take the train in, probably about 45 minutes give or take when all said and done. It would take me just as long with traffic in the morning to drive there, and there is nowhere to park, without having to worry about meters!

Good luck to you too! Post when you get in to SCO. ;)

Yeah, I'll be sure to post any good news coming my way from SCO. BOy, that's a lot of hopping up and down the train everyday if you end up living at home. Yeah, i remember the financial aid lady told us not to bring a car up there since parking space is only for the faculty there. She also mentioned that Boston's traffic's pretty bad...I guess you know more about that than i do;)

SO i guess ur not going to anymore interviews then huh. That's good cuz you can actually saved a lot of money. I've decided to cancel my other 2 interviews since i already got in, saves me a lot of money not to fly out.

Hi
Yea, I cancelled interviews/withdrew applications from PCO, SUNY, and ICO. PCO was my second choice, I was still considering going, but I knew in the long run, I'd have to either use the difference in money for the remainder of NEWENCO's tuition or towards housing etc at PCO. I've been away the past 3 1/2 years so I decided to come back to Mass. and be able to see family and friends more often. Talk to you soon!:)

How did you decide that optometry was for you?

What was your background as an undergrad?

Public Health,

I have had glasses since I was 7 and then contacts at 12 so I have always been to the eye doctors for as long as I can remember. I liked science in high school, took some extra science classes then. I always wondered why I had to wear glasses while my friends didn't and how some decreases in vision have been worse than others. I've done a lot of shadowing optometrists and I also like to help others. I did a lot of volunteer work in high school.

My undergrad background---
I'm graduating in May from Quinnipiac University in Hamden, CT with a BS in biology, chemistry minor.
Any other questions? :)

Originally posted by PublicHealth
How did you decide that optometry was for you?

What was your background as an undergrad?

Initially, I wanted to pursue a career in medicine as a freshman. But as i get the feeling for medicine after working for some MD, i have some second thoughts about. I started shadowing other health professions like pharmacy, dentistry, and even research. I came upon optometry and I really liked it.

Contrary to negative inputs into optometry, I really like the work, the hours, and the patient volume that an optometrist have. I don't want to be on-call 24/7. Yes, having a great volume of patient is great b/c you make a lot of $$. And yes, living the luxury MD life and having all the "respect" is a big deal for some. But for me, I have a different perspective about that. I want to get more out of this life than just that. Alrite, enough of my long remarks :laugh:

My undergrad: majoring in biology and minoring in chemistry and psychology. Got accepted into ICO and NEWENCO, still waiting for SCO's decision...any days now :eek:

How is living costs near NEWENCO?

Living in or around Boston is expensive. The school is in the Back Bay area which is very expensive. The further from Boston you live, the prices do go down. But you still have to factor in transportation getting to school. Personally, I think having a roommate(s) is the best way to go and you'd have the ability to split up rent.

Here is the link to NEWENCO's site with housing info

http://www.ne-optometry.edu/students/housing.htm

I am going to be living at home, I live about 20 miles south of Boston. I'm going to take the train in which should take around 45 minutes or so. Unless I need to later on with clinicals or something, I can't justify spending the money to live in Boston when I can live at home. ALthough living in Boston must be great. You may want to take a look at the real estate section of www.boston.com

Hope some of this helped you! :)

Thanks for your detailed reply. By the way, is Newenco an easier school to get into?

I don't think I would consider it easier. I don't know if you saw the earlier post that has a comparison of all the schools. Take a look

http://www.opted.org/pdf/Profile03b.pdf

I know that UC-Berkley has higher req's for OAT scores though.

Oh, I only ask because I notice there's no requirement for a personal statement. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Is it true that it's more competitive to get into a public school as opposed to a private school?

Originally posted by stompy
Oh, I only ask because I notice there's no requirement for a personal statement. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Is it true that it's more competitive to get into a public school as opposed to a private school?

stompy,

I wouldn't call it "easy." Although some schools are more selective than others is what i think. There IS a personal statement for NEWENCO. You need to look at their printable application from each of the 4 pages as well as the instructions:
http://www.ne-optometry.edu/admissions/default.asp
From the stats, NEWENCO takes a lot of out of states, so does ICO, PCO, Nova, and some others, but those have a high number of out of states. Since they want a lot of out of state, they are not as selective as the others like SCO :mad: Hence, some might think that's why it's "easy" to get in schools like Boston or PCO.
:cool:

Stompy

eyedream did bring up a good point. I hadn't even thought of that part.

there is a personal statement--asking about your short and long term professoinal objectives, why you want to study optometry, how you first became interested in optometry, and how you envision your career in optometry

;)