This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tietie1992

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know everyone writes their credentials on here and I've read some really good advice but nothing like my situation. I plan on applying for med schools DO or MD for the upcoming cycle. My overall gpa is a 3.1. My practice mcat scores are in the low 500's. I know alone those stats don't seem impressive or stand out. During the my first half of college my gpa was around a 2.4. My mother lost her job, my younger brother passed away, I started working full time hours and being a first generation college student was hard enough. Toward the second half of college I got my act together and dug myself out of the rut I was in. My average gpa for my second half of college is around a 3.7 including hard science classes like physics advanced bios, and organic chem lab.
I have great work experience working in research and as a nurse technician at a hospital. My letters of recommendations will be from professors and directors of departments that I have worked for. I have a lot of volunteer hours as well.

Could anyone offer some advice? I have worked in medicine alongside physicians for 5 years now and I really enjoy it. I would love it even more if I could become apart of the team as a physician.

Thanks in advance!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
What are your grades in the core sciences? By those I mean the general 'pre-reqs'. Also your MCAT will determine a few things but do as well as possible. Also I assume you a URM but which ethnicity if you don't mind me asking? If your MCAT score is good, and your pre-req grades are good then you may have a chance at an MD program at an HBCU. My brother had a 3.4 and a 25 and he got in towards the end of the cycle 4 years ago. Now he is AOA, got a 260 on boards, and going Anesthesia. Don't give up and work as hard as possible if you want to get there

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user