NHSC Loan Repayment - approval rate?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jwind

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm considering a job that would require a significant move. It's already a pre approved site and I plan on applying as soon as they reopen the application process. I've been trying to get an idea of how many qualified applicants that are employed in a qualified site get denied and for what reason(s). I've been told that statistics are not made public, but a *general* sense would really help me with my decision. I mean, is like 10% or like 90%, ya know?

Members don't see this ad.

FWIW, the NHSC rep I spoke to on the phone told me that common reasons for not being approved were:

ineligible loans (consolidated outside of the gov't SL program? or co-consolidated with private loans/ anything not an eligible loan-car,house,CC)

applying at an unapproved site

program cycle ran out of funding for current year.

Also, FWIW, I don't know how much I trusted the guy. You sometimes get the feeling that the human on the other end of the phone would like to help you but has a supervisor/management that has a different idea of what constitutes helping...

Generally though, he gave me the sense that "most" applications are approved. The one thought I would add is that if you take a job and they don't approve you, then you are free to leave, so it's in NHSC's interest to make the LR payments...