NHSC Scholars who are currently serving or have served their terms - PM me.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RadicalTour

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
To NHSC Scholars who would like to share their experiences: I want to know your NHSC experiences. Please PM me. I'm scared for my future.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone responded to you? curious to know what there experiences are

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello. I am a scholar and 3rd year pediatrics resident getting ready to start my service committment. I can say that the process of finding a position in a community where my family and I would be happy has been challenging. The NHSC has undergone some revamping in recent years but there is still room for improvement. My placement advisor and I have been in constant contact since the Scholars conference in August 2010. However she does not provide assistance with the job search.

When looking for a position you have to think outside the box. The jobs opportunities list is limited and outdated to say the least. You can also search for positions at www.3rnet.org. I actually submitted my CV to NHSC approved sites that did not have current vacancies posted on the jobs opportunities list. Through the NHSC website you can look for approved sites and search for areas by entering a specific address to see the HPSA of that particular location. If you find a position you like, you can have a site approved if they meet the required HPSA score but the process is long and involves lots of paperwork. You also need to start searching for a position early if you have a specific area of the US or site you are looking to work at. The current HPSA score for scholars is 17 which limits the areas scholars may practice in. The HPSA score may change in the future but that is determined by the federal goverment and is not negotiable. There is also only one scholar allowed per primary care site.

All in all I think the program is great in theory but there are many drawbacks and limitations regarding practice sites and the overall support received from NHSC.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

AngieMD08 (and anyone else who may post a story about their NHSC Scholar experience), are you considering serving your service requirement in the Public Health Service Corps?

I am serving my committment through the NHSC. Didn't want to get tied up in another federal program/organization honestly. In addition, as a pediatrician opportunities are limited. Truly these programs work best for FPs and IM docs.

I am serving my committment through the NHSC. Didn't want to get tied up in another federal program/organization honestly. In addition, as a pediatrician opportunities are limited. Truly these programs work best for FPs and IM docs.
Ah, cool. Thanks for answering that. ^_^