NHSC Scholarship 2020-2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Are you applying to the NHSC this year?

• Yes

Votes: 204 66.0%
  • No

Votes: 34 11.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 40 12.9%
  • Already got it!

Votes: 31 10.0%

• Total voters
Reach out to your financial aid office at your school. At mine, they help you with this process and even work with you to give you extra time to pay back the funds until the NHSC payments hit your account. They have likely had students in the same situation in the past at your school too
I second this. My school's FA office is fabulous and will *almost* literally hold your hand through this process.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know the approximate amount of the stipend that will be receiving in Nov especially and then each month?
According to the Program Guidelines, the stipend is "estimated at $1,434 before federal taxes." It continues to say that "New scholars will receive stipend payments for July through October in their bank account in a lump-sum payment no later than the first week of November." ORC payment, from my understanding, will vary by school but will be included in that initial lump-sum deposit.

Reactions: 1 users
Wait I’m confused so we can’t keep the refunded loans? The stipend would barely cover my rent :oops:

Members don't see this ad :)
Wait I’m confused so we can’t keep the refunded loans? The stipend would barely cover my rent :oops:
I thought NHSC only refunded loans taken out to pay for tuition. So if you took out loans for living (rent etc) they would not be refunded. But that’s what I thought not sure if it’s true.

I thought NHSC only refunded loans taken out to pay for tuition. So if you took out loans for living (rent etc) they would not be refunded. But that’s what I thought not sure if it’s true.
I think that’s true. You should be allowed to use loans for living expenses if needed, even if you receive the scholarship

This depends. Yes, amounts beyond just tuition and fees will have to be refunded. This is a federal regulation that your school must abide by in order to be able to distribute federal loans (more below). The amount you get to keep after all the NHSC funds are dispersed and your loans are refunded depends on what your school’s official “cost of attendance” is. Federal regulations limit the amount of aid any student can receive (3rd party scholarships/NHSC included) to equal no more than the cost of attendance. If the loans/fees/stipend does not reach your school’s cost of attendance, you can take out/keep loans to make up the difference. If it goes over, you will not be able to keep any loans at all (but you may be able to keep the money from your other sources). It can be really confusing, but it is best to try and keep track of all of this to know how much money you actually have. You will have a LOT of money suddenly appear in your bank account in a couple months. If you aren’t careful, you’ll find yourself in a situation where your school suddenly asks you for thousands of dollars to be paid back to them and you won’t have it.

So NHSC is going to pay the money to your institution. Reach out to your FA office to see what they will do. It depends on many different factors... whether the loans are sub/unsubsidized, how much you were given, cost of attendance, etc. It's really complicated to try to figure out on your own, but your FA office should be well-versed on the rules. My summer and fall have already been paid by student loans, so I'm interested to see what they tell me on Monday as far as what they will do with my current loans and the future. Because I will need more than the $1400 to cover living expenses.

Reactions: 2 users
This depends. Yes, amounts beyond just tuition and fees will have to be refunded. This is a federal regulation that your school must abide by in order to be able to distribute federal loans (more below). The amount you get to keep after all the NHSC funds are dispersed and your loans are refunded depends on what your school’s official “cost of attendance” is. Federal regulations limit the amount of aid any student can receive (3rd party scholarships/NHSC included) to equal no more than the cost of attendance. If the loans/fees/stipend does not reach your school’s cost of attendance, you can take out/keep loans to make up the difference. If it goes over, you will not be able to keep any loans at all (but you may be able to keep the money from your other sources). It can be really confusing, but it is best to try and keep track of all of this to know how much money you actually have. You will have a LOT of money suddenly appear in your bank account in a couple months. If you aren’t careful, you’ll find yourself in a situation where your school suddenly asks you for thousands of dollars to be paid back to them and you won’t have it.
Thanks for the explanation!

Anyone else still need a co-signature? Also did everyone have a credit check done on them?

Off topic: what salary can NHSC dentists expect in a public health clinic? Where can I find more information to compare different pay packages?

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
For anyone who's in the portal and got the email about the summer EVF and webinar, where do I upload that form?

Off topic: what salary can NHSC dentists expect in a public health clinic? Where can I find more information to compare different pay packages?
No idea, but at least from my understanding (but I'm in a DO program) you don't HAVE to work in a "public health clinic" unless we're defining these as two different things. You can practice in private clinics if they're a verified site and treat underserved populations.

No idea, but at least from my understanding (but I'm in a DO program) you don't HAVE to work in a "public health clinic" unless we're defining these as two different things. You can practice in private clinics if they're a verified site and treat underserved populations.
This is true, but for dental, those are extremely rare.
As far as ranges for dental, I’ve seen anywhere from $90k-150k for new grads. Some offer a bonus/incentive on top of salary for high production. It goes up after a year or two of practice or residency in case you end up transferring sites.
The benefits (health insurance, malpractice, disability, etc) from most of these community health clinic jobs really make them a lot more worth it and help make up for some of the lower salaries.

For those who received a countersignature on Sep 10, 2021, has your portal changed from "applicant" to "participant" and have you received the "award email"?

I got countersigned yesterday morning. I am a D1 student. I think everyone will be getting their countersignatures soon, if you are still waiting. Congrats to everyone again!

For those who received a countersignature on Sep 10, 2021, has your portal changed from "applicant" to "participant" and have you received the "award email"?
I got countersigned that day and have not had a portal change or a letter.

I got countersigned that day and have not had a portal change or a letter.

I would imagine you guys will get your portal today or tomorrow. I was signed 9/7, got access to the portal 9/10, then got the email 9/13

Danggg.. getting worried now.

Reactions: 3 users
I got countersigned about a week ago. I'm a bit worried hahaha. Hope everyone will get the portal updated soon!
Oh! I thought you may have been one from this week. Yes, I’m sure it’ll update soon.❤️ If it’s signed, it’s a contact on both ends. It’s also the date it says I was awarded it on my portal.

anyone else still waiting on a countersignature? some of my classmates who are also finalists got a countersignature but me :cryi::cryi::cryi:

anyone else still waiting on a countersignature? some of my classmates who are also finalists got a countersignature but me :cryi::cryi::cryi:
I’m still waiting and I think my two classmates are too 😢

Oh! I thought you may have been one from this week. Yes, I’m sure it’ll update soon.❤️ If it’s signed, it’s a contact on both ends. It’s also the date it says I was awarded it on my portal.
I second this statement! The award date on my portal is the countersignature date as well!

First, Congrats to all the recipients of the NHSC Scholarship =) Im so excited to be on this journey with you all! And for the people still waiting for a countersignature/portal change ... ITS COMING!

Question: How did you guys go about contacting your financial aid office, do we have to be a part of the process of reversing our loans, and how do we submit our ORC request?

First, Congrats to all the recipients of the NHSC Scholarship =) Im so excited to be on this journey with you all! And for the people still waiting for a countersignature/portal change ... ITS COMING!

Question: How did you guys go about contacting your financial aid office, do we have to be a part of the process of reversing our loans, and how do we submit our ORC request?
This is where I am now too. My school Financial aid office is not being too helpful. I hope there is someone from NHSC that gets in touch with the school on behalf of the scholar. I am also looking for current scholars from my school that can guide me on how to go about it.

Is there anyone else's portal hasn't changed over?:cryi:
My portal hasn’t changed over yet either. I received my counter signature on Sept. 8th. So that’s been a little over a week now but nothing yet. Hopefully it happens soon. 🤞🏽

Reactions: 2 users