NJ Resident: 3.88 GPA, 3.85 SciGPA, 30 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

deanthedream17

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Bump. Please advice. What should I think? Should I be optimistic or pessimistic?

Bump. Please advice. What should I think? Should I be optimistic or pessimistic?

Okay, I'll take a stab: I think your selection of schools looks good; with an early application and the way you outline yourself as a candidate, I would have expected several interview invites with a 30 MCAT. 30 is the oft mentioned cut-off for getting decent MD consideration, though I don't know how true that is. Still, some of the top schools may screen you out for scoring less than 10 in a subsection.

I think at this point timing is working against you way more than your MCAT score. As I'm sure you know, schools differ in how they admit -- from true rolling (first batch of decisions start going out October 15th, with some of these schools filling classes by Christmas), to rolling admissions starting in the new year (Einstein is this way; I don't think first decisions go out until January), to schools like Northwestern, where decisions aren't announced until the spring IIRC. At this point, the latter two types of admissions are probably your most likely chance at an interview invite.

I don't think you should be optimistic and expect interviews -- but that's not to say you should be pessimistic either. I think you should be realistic that it's something more like a 50-50 shot at this point.

What you can do to maximize your chances at this point is to pre-write your secondaries and really put some thought into them. I have found that the schools that allowed me to write something of substance in my secondary are those that have invited me to interviews --maybe they also tend to review my entire application more carefully?

Other than that, I'm not sure when you graduated or if you have graduated. If you are still in school, this could be a blessing in disguise. There is a lot to be said for finding a meaningful experience before medical school starts and devoting yourself to it for a year. It will give you a lot more to talk about in any interview. You would be able to submit an early application next year, and maybe also throw your hat into to DO ring to maximize your chances.

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay, I'll take a stab: I think your selection of schools looks good; with an early application and the way you outline yourself as a candidate, I would have expected several interview invites with a 30 MCAT. 30 is the oft mentioned cut-off for getting decent MD consideration, though I don't know how true that is. Still, some of the top schools may screen you out for scoring less than 10 in a subsection.

I think at this point timing is working against you way more than your MCAT score. As I'm sure you know, schools differ in how they admit -- from true rolling (first batch of decisions start going out October 15th, with some of these schools filling classes by Christmas), to rolling admissions starting in the new year (Einstein is this way; I don't think first decisions go out until January), to schools like Northwestern, where decisions aren't announced until the spring IIRC. At this point, the latter two types of admissions are probably your most likely chance at an interview invite.

I don't think you should be optimistic and expect interviews -- but that's not to say you should be pessimistic either. I think you should be realistic that it's something more like a 50-50 shot at this point.

What you can do to maximize your chances at this point is to pre-write your secondaries and really put some thought into them. I have found that the schools that allowed me to write something of substance in my secondary are those that have invited me to interviews --maybe they also tend to review my entire application more carefully?

Other than that, I'm not sure when you graduated or if you have graduated. If you are still in school, this could be a blessing in disguise. There is a lot to be said for finding a meaningful experience before medical school starts and devoting yourself to it for a year. It will give you a lot more to talk about in any interview. You would be able to submit an early application next year, and maybe also throw your hat into to DO ring to maximize your chances.

Last edited:
Bump..c'mon I need more advice

I'm Asian, NJ resident, and with an unbalanced MCAT score, even more unbalanced than you. But I have gotten some interview invites from some of the schools you applied to, so definitely give it a shot, you never know.
Also, have you not considered DO schools at all?

So I have not done one of these threads before, but others suggested I should make one.

I applied to 20 schools. Initially, I thought I had some shot at them. Then I bought MSAR online since applying and I am now realizing how many rejections I have coming my way mainly due to MCAT score. I wasn't ready for the exam the first time based on my practice tests so I backed out and after thinking I still didn't do that well I waited till the day I got my score back to apply (Aug 6), however the 8 weeks didn't start till Aug 12 when they received my transcript. DAMN :( Wish I knew that. Now not only is my app not verified yet (hoping the 8 weeks is a max and it won't doom me), but I feel like crap since many schools I would love to have a shot at my MCAT is either in the 10 percentile or below :oops:.

I have received 6 secondaries (automatic) that don't need a verified amcas or prescreen and have turned them in.

Here are my Stats:

NJ Resident
White
Attend large public university (guess which one lol)
GPA: 3.88, sGPA: 3.85, MCAT: 30 (12 ps, 9 v, 9 bs) (I guess that is unbalanced?)

Eagle Scout, wrestle, 3 research laboratories (no pubs yet), shadowing experiences, J&J summer internship, volunteering, few other ecs.

According to the career services counselor I have a strong personal statement

Really good recommendations: 8, have my premedical committee interview (composite letter) in 1.5 weeks.

My schools that I applied to:

* - secondary received and submitted

Albert Einstein - #1 choice
Cooper at Rowan
Drexel
Geisel Med at Dartmouth - #2 choice *
George Washington U *
Georgetown
Jefferson Med
Loyola U Chicago
Michigan State
NYMC *
NYU - really like the school, I know I am low caliber for this school but my godfather is an alumnist and wrote a letter after encouraging me to apply
Northwestern Med - lol. thought their MCAT was a 34 until I looked recently and it was like a 36! :scared:
Penn State
Quinnipiac
Rutgers - NJ Med *
Rutgers - RWJ - made it to interview stage of BA/MD program
Temple
Miami
Tufts *
Wake Forest - have a lot of family near the school

Will provide any other info if needed. Please be honest, but kind :love:

I think you have a very solid selection of schools there. Your MCAT could be slightly higher (coming from someone with below a 30 haha) but your GPA is above average so you are in a good place with most schools. To my knowledge the two Rutgers schools have not sent out many interview invites yet, or at least they have only sent them to exceedingly high stat applicants. Also your stats at Cooper Medical School are very solid, although I have no idea your background working with the underrepresented. They have a strong preference for students who resonate with their mission statement.

You are in a good place though and should feel great. Of course we might not always get our top picks, but I definitely see you competitive at many of the schools on your list. Good Luck!!

Also, I wonder which large NJ institution that would be... :D

Edit: Also the DO option is definitely something to consider. Rowan SOM (Formerly UMDNJ SOM) is nearby and a very good Osteopathic Medical School. Also their cycle is much later. They take the January MCAT if that puts it into perspective.

albert einstein, NYU, dartmouth, northwestern are all huge reaches, more like impossible schools
you fall below the 10th percentile MCAT range for einstein, NYU, and NU

tufts is a reach as well as georgetown

the rest are picked out pretty well

just dont be too disappointed when you dont get into your top two choices...

albert einstein, NYU, dartmouth, northwestern are all huge reaches, more like impossible schools
you fall below the 10th percentile MCAT range for einstein, NYU, and NU

tufts is a reach as well as georgetown

the rest are picked out pretty well

just dont be too disappointed when you dont get into your top two choices...

Last edited: