No Date on Letter of Recommendation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Coltuna

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
One of my letter writers forgot to include a "date written" in his/her LOR for me. Should I be concerned? Based on the content in the letter (location where I worked with this individual, job title, etc), it can clearly be established that the letter was written during the past year if one just looks at my activities on my application, but I just want to make sure I don't need this resent with a date.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes. Ask them to put it on. Some schools won't care, others will. You don't want this becoming an unwelcome surprise roadblock when your app is being completed.

Yes. Ask them to put it on. Some schools won't care, others will. You don't want this becoming an unwelcome surprise roadblock when your app is being completed.
So I assume you've seen specific cases where a letter without a date wasn't accepted? Or just basing this on how picky admissions are with everything else?

Members don't see this ad :)
Had it happen to me. Some schools didn't care, but I didn't know until well after I had submitted my letters and secondaries when a school emailed me.

I agree that it's better to just get it fixed now. It's really the signature that is a huge requirement, but when something is missing and you are trying to get through all your secondaries... getting a new letter becomes overwhelming very quickly lol (personal experience). Better to just sort it out now and then you can forget about it :)

Ugh you're right; I think I was just hoping for someone to say "it won't matter at all," but that's wishful thinking for any question regarding this process

Had it happen to me. Some schools didn't care, but I didn't know until well after I had submitted my letters and secondaries when a school emailed me.
I'm ok if they email me and say they want a new letter. I'm more curious if they will just choose not to review the letter in the first place. I'm out of AMCAS letter service slots on my application so the only way to get updated letter to them is via email.

Reactions: 1 users
Wait, do med schools require a “date written”? I have never heard of this. Only that they are written on official letterhead and carry a real signature. BRB panicking while I email my advisor to check if all my letter packet’s letters have dates…

Reactions: 1 user
Wait, do med schools require a “date written”? I have never heard of this. Only that they are written on official letterhead and carry a real signature. BRB panicking while I email my advisor to check if all my letter packet’s letters have dates…
Agreed. This is all so over the top. Why would knowing the date of writing matter in any way?

Agreed. This is all so over the top. Why would knowing the date of writing matter in any way?
Literally my letter that was undated came from my job for last two years, if you just look at my application you can see there's no other place it could have come from LOL.