MD & DO No idea right now.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dtran904

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
PS/VR/BS: 8/9/10. 27. Got my score yesterday.
cGPA: 3.4 - 3.5 depending on how I do in my summer classes right now since I will be sending updated transcripts.
AAMC Average practice: 29 ~ 30.
LOR: Strong
EC/Volunteering: Very strong, clinical and nonclinical.
Worked throughout undergrad 15-25hrs a week.

Work.
I've worked in retail and as a waiter for since I was 16. A good amount of time a week since I needed to pay for myself in college. Family wasn't in the best position for helping me with a divorce and money problems. I did a lot of customer based work so I'm pretty good with people and managing.

Volunteer
I've volunteered in a hospital setting since before high school. I grew up with my mind set on this. I've accumulated over 300 hours worth of volunteer work both clinical and nonclinical. Including alternative spring break programs at boys and girls clubs with under served communities as well as under served communities locally. I have a strong interest in working with under served communities and it's reflected in my application and PS. Shadowed a couple doctors and learned about proton therapy. I proceeded to start volunteering at a proton therapy institute.

Coursework
Had a strong start in college. Scholarship requires me to take at least 15 credits a semester and since I came in with 31, I took like two to three science courses at once pretty much every semester. I had a little bump where I got a c+ in bio 2 then took bio 3 orgo1 and physics1 together and got a B in bio, and C's in the other two. But I bounced back the next semester where I took orgo 2 and physics 2 together and got an A and b+.

Should I retake or take my chances and work more on secondaries and strengthening in other aspects? I'm in Florida looking to apply both MD and DO with a preference towards lower tier MD schools. I've submitted both AACOMAS and AMCAS. Applied to all instate schools and some out of state with lower MCAT ranges. I'm not really sure if I should retake as I don't know how much a ~29 would do for me when I could do other things outside of studying for the MCAT. I'm scheduled right now for a July 12th retake. Don't know if I should go through with it. Any opinions?

What're my chances for schools like FSU or other similar OOS schools?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you want to apply to MD schools, you're looking at a retake. Nearly 70% of non-URM applicants scored above a 27.

If you want to apply to MD schools, you're looking at a retake. Nearly 70% of non-URM applicants scored above a 27.

I agree. Your GPA isn't a killer, but I would say you want your MCAT score to be on par or above the median of the MD schools you apply to. I don't claim to know that much about how adcoms work (or anything really), but since you have some suspect grades in science courses from undergrad (the Cs) I would assume they want to know you can be successful in those disciplines. If your MCAT score stays at a 27, I would suspect that most MD programs would decide you couldn't handle the rigor of their programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
agree with above. you've got some work to put in for the MCAT

what about shadowing hours?
what about research?
have you applied to any REU programs?

You need to retake ASAP if you plan to apply this cycle.

I've got about 30 shadowing hours. No research as it was never something I was extremely passionate about. My passion lies more in community work and working with those who may not be in the same position as others and that's reflected on my application. I never really had the opportunity to get into any research either. Should I consider it?
You don't have to have research experience for a strong DO application. A DO letter would help, though.
As it stands you have at least another cycle (including an MCAT re-take) for a serious MD bid.