Should I Apply DO Right Now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RocuROMANium

Anti-woke progressive
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
A quick history. Last year was my first cycle (MD only) and I received one interview and was eventually waitlisted. I applied ED to that same school this cycle but it has been radio silence and I am worried that I will be placed in the RD pool or rejected. As a result, I was wondering if it would be appropriate to apply to DO schools right now. If so, which ones?

State/Country of Residence: Georgia/USA

* Ties to other States/Regions: Not me personally but my wife has family in Nevada, Ohio, and Vermont

* [URM](Y/N): No. I am a first-generation college student though from a low SES household. Idk how much that matters.

* Degrees: BS in Environmental Health

* Cumulative GPA: 3.05

* Science GPA: 3.03

* Postbacc GPA: 4.0 (67 credits total, 55 credits of upper level science)

* MCAT Score(s): 507 (127/125/128/127)

* Research Experience: 350 hours of basic science research in a toxicology lab.

* Clinical Experience: 6,000+ hours as an emergency department technician at one of the busiest emergency departments in the country.

* Publications/Abstracts/Posters: None

* Physician Shadowing: 120 hours total, 105 hours with an orthopaedist, 5 hours with a PCP, and 10 hours with a pediatric Hem/Onc

* Clinical Volunteering: 300+ hours as a phlebotomist at a community clinic that serves uninsured patients and 100 hours at an orthopaedic clinic

* Non-Clinical Volunteering: 33 hours as a volunteer coordinator for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society

* Other Extracurricular Activities: I am the lead emergency technician at my job and I have dedicated a lot of time outside work to expanding the role and I attend many upper hospital management events and meetings. Below are the highlights:
  • I have written standard operating procedures for the various responsibilities for my position
  • I created a skills training course for nurses, paramedics, and technicians
  • I interview new applicant nurses, secretaries, technicians, and safety sitters
  • I was selected as a representative for a week long Lean event with the mission of identifying wasteful processes in the emergency department and creating possible solutions to address those processes
  • I wrote a proposal on stratifying the emergency technician position in order to provide more opportunities for leadership
  • I train new resident physicians, new nurses and technicians on splinting fractured and dislocated joints and bones
  • I am a preceptor for new emergency technicians
  • I recently joined the community outreach, disaster, and STEMI review committees
I also have trained new volunteer phlebotomists and new research assistants

* Awards: Presidents List (4x), Star service award for helping to save a patient's life

* Hobbies: Motorcycle riding through the countryside, woodworking, drawing, painting, reading, boxing

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, you should apply broadly to DO schools this month and I suggest these:
PCOM Georgia and South Georgia
ACOM
NYIT-AR
WCU-COM
WVSOM
UP-KYCOM
LECOM (all schools)
UIWSOM
MU-COM
KCU-COM