Noetic Science?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Psychology 76

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm in the process of looking for summer research experience and I have a few good leads to work in labs this summer. However, while searching for summer opportunities I found an unpaid position data coding for noetic research. I could do a limited role if I wanted to and do multiple internships.

My question:
Could doing noetic science research be beneficial for intrinsic (me learning anything valuable) or extrinsic (research experience on resume) purposes?
I know this field is controversial but some of the neuropsychological aspects are interesting..

Members don't see this ad.

I would caution you to really investigate the research that is being conducted at this site. While some of the theories may be intuitively appealing, there is the possibility that someone who is familiar with noetics (and potentially does not see the scientific merit of research on things like ESP and parapsychology) could question your interests. For example, I would be interested in researching things like EMDR and TFT in order to debunk them, but unless I was able to clarify my position toward them clearly in my resume, I would never list those as research interests. I'm not sure where you are at in your career (e.g. applying to grad school, hoping to apply to internship soon), but if I were you I would find a less controversial area to research. If it's an area that you are very interested in, I would suggest that you wait until you are more established in your career to research the area. However, there is obviously a mindfulness component to the theory and there are many researchers who are investigating meditation using scientifically sound methodology. That may be another avenue to explore that is less controversial, although not without its heated debates.