MD Non-Trad Low GPA/High MCAT Hispanic- School List Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctorbob23

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, Im trying to figure out which schools to apply to and theres SO MANY. Its getting to be a lot harder than I thought and I could really use some help from those with a little more experience. I just want to pick the schools that statistically I have the best chances for an interview/acceptance in my situation. I have a lot of medical experience (nursing icu 2 years).

I screwed up my freshman year but I have a 4.0 for 3 years in all my classes and pre-reqs (reinvention story).

Im hispanic and I was born in cuba. I speak fluent english and spanish.

Stats:

Cumulative GPA : 3.35

Science GPA: 3.40

MCAT: 514 (92%)

Year in school: Senior

Race: Hispanic/Cuban

Country/state of residence: FL (no surprise)

Schools to which you are applying:
  1. All FL state schools
  2. UM
  3. Tulane
  4. Loyola
  5. Thomas Jefferson
  6. Albany
  7. NYMC
  8. Howard
  9. EVMS
  10. Vanderbilt
  11. Wake Forest
  12. Quinnipiac
  13. Temple
  14. Commonwealth
  15. Virginia Commonwealth
  16. Drexel
  17. RF
  18. SUNY Downstate
  19. Tufts
  20. Georgetown
  21. Pennstate
  22. Meharry
  23. Wayne State
  24. Virginia Tech
  25. Wright State

Research: 1 semester of research, no publications

Work (medical) – 2 years nursing icu and ER experience
Volunteer (medical)- 3 months assisted living home health
6 months ER volunteer

Physician shadowing –
100 hrs-internal medicine
60 hours- Emergency Medicine

Non-clinical volunteering

-Playing guitar at nursing home for 6 months
-Biology tutor (integrated with the course)- 2 years

Employment history:

8 years worth of work experience, waiting tables, cashier

Immediate family members in medicine? No

Any insight into medical schools that would fit my situation? Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Last year Meharry matriculated no Cubans and Howard, only one.
If you are Afro-Cuban, all the HBCU's are good choices, if not, the Puerto Rican schools that accept mainlanders are better choices .
You can go through your list in the MSAR and look for Cuban matriculants (under demographics) to get an idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last year Meharry matriculated no Cubans and Howard, only one.
If you are Afro-Cuban, all the HBCU's are good choices, if not, the Puerto Rican schools that accept mainlanders are better choices .

GynGyn,

What are the schools that really value Hispanic applicants ?

Members don't see this ad :)
GynGyn,

What are the schools that really value Hispanic applicants ?
Cubans are not generally recognized as UiM, though language skills are always appreciated.
Your best bets are in FL. Edit: only 5 Cubans were at admitted all the Puerto Rican schools; 2 at Ponce, 2 at Caribe and 1 at SJB.

Last edited by a moderator:
Check this out. I found this interesting. In 2011 only 300 cubans applied. Its kind of hard to really know how significant zero cubans accepted is without knowing how many cubans applied to that school. Kind of weird we aren't URM when were considered hispanic nontheless
Screen Shot 2016-05-10 at 8.42.27 PM.png

Any other schools would be a good idea to apply?

Check this out. I found this interesting. In 2011 only 300 cubans applied. Its kind of hard to really know how significant zero cubans accepted is without knowing how many cubans applied to that school. Kind of weird we aren't URM when were considered hispanic nonthelessView attachment 203584

Any other schools would be a good idea to apply?
The UiM designation hasn't applied to Cubans because of a unique immigration pattern from the island. A disproportionate number of the original emigres were from the educated class. Thus, Cubans are over-represented in medicine due to the physician/patient ratio. The same misfortune applies to Filipinos and Vietnamese applicants.

Any place that matches your stats and matriculates at least 20% OOS would be a good choice.

I'm not Cuban, I am Mexican American but I live in FL and most of the FL schools seem to accept a lot of Cubans and not many Mexican. Do you know the top friendly Mexican schools and whether it will matter that I am out of state if they are not Florida schools? Thank you.