WAMC/School List/Non-Trad Reinvention Reapplicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jstkeepswimming

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am looking for some advice on my chances and what else I can do to improve. I am a California resident and an ORM.

GPA: GPA/Hours (this is my BCPM gpa, my everything else included cgpa is very close to this one, 3.04).
1705275473318.png

A little background: I was just an unfocused student and a majority of my bad grades are from community college (almost 10 years ago now). I started turning it around in senior year at my state school (a UC) and then maintained a 4.0 during my 60 credit hour post-bacc (upper division science classes only).

MCAT:
My first attempt in 2022 was a 509 (126/128/127/128)
Second attempt in 2023 was a 513 (127/126/131/129)
Legitimately considering retaking because I was scoring 517+ on my practice exams, and I feel I can do much better.

Non-clinical volunteering:
- Big Brothers/Sisters of America since 2019 (mentoring a child from a rough background) ~ should have roughly 700+ hours by the time the 2024 app cycle rolls around
- School on Wheels (weekly tutoring of disadvantaged children) - should have ~ 50 hours by June 2024
- Homeless shelter volunteer - haven't officially started this yet but anticipating ~ 100 hours by June 2024

Clinical:
Health Scholar at local hospital (similar to MA) ~ 180 hours
Research assistant for my alma mater's SOM where we worked on opening a free clinic ~ 120 hours (poster pub)
Hopefully starting a MA+Scribe job soon (internal medicine) which should give me another ~300 hours of clinical exposure by June 2024

Other Hobbies:
- Piano since age 17
- Gardening for a few years now
- Big on reading

I have 3 great science professors who wrote me letters in my previous cycle and will do it again. I also have a letter from my supervisor from Big Brothers/Sisters. I feel foolish applying previously. I think that was a mistake and I should have waited until I scored higher on the MCAT, but it is what it is. I am hoping to go MD so trying to maximize my chances there (nothing against DO).

I'm looking to get advice on my application and what parts should I work to improve. Is retaking the MCAT a good idea/necessary? Should I delay my application another year so I can have more on my resume? I was also looking into doing a MPH starting this summer (out of personal interest mostly). The program would end summer 2025 so in theory I can finish before matriculating if I applied this year.

I appreciate all the help and insights! Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You have shown you are a different student now. Do not retake the MCAT. Gaining clinical experience should be your priority before it is application time. It is up to you if the MPH interests you enough that you do that and while working more at the MA/scribe job before applying in 2025.

Ensure you have 50 hours of shadowing. Scribing hours can count if you take some and put it into the shadowing slot on AMCAS.

I suggest:
UCD
UCR (only if from the IE or attended it for undergrad)
CUSM
Vermont
Drexel
Temple
Penn State
Quinnipiac
Georgetown
George Washington
Albany
NYMC
MCW
Rosalind Franklin