Non-trad what are my chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aakp

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, here's a bit of background:

I finished my undergrad in '07 and couldn't decide between med or grad. I wanted to do MSTP, but ended up applying very late in the cycle (took the last paper MCAT in August, didn't get scores until late October, that sort of thing) and only got one med offer. In the meantime, I got accepted to one of the best chem departments in the country for their PhD program. The initial plan was to just do the PhD and THEN med school, but I've been realizing that med is what I really want to do, yadda yadda. Long story short, I'm planning on leaving with a masters and a few good publications.

So here are my stats:
- 37 MCAT (first time, it's since expired and I need to retake it, but I'm pretty sure I can beat the old score)
- ~3.7 undergrad GPA, 4.0 over last 2 years with extremely heavy science courseload. 3.85 grad GPA.
- lots of volunteer experience
- great LORs from a few big names, especially well known in the area.
- volunteer work in an ER for one summer, but this was ~6 years ago. Not much direct medical shadowing since.
- A bunch of various academic awards, a few teaching awards as a grad student, etc. I tutored for about ~2 years as an undergrad, have taught ochem twice as a grad student.
- one of the first 10 employees at a pretty cool startup company, working on projects that have significant public health implications.

I know I can get into med school, I've done it before. However, I'd like to not do the full-blown application cycle my first time around. I plan on only applying to UCSF and Stanford this year. So hit me with it, what are my odds?

Members don't see this ad.

Assuming you have recent clinical experience and community service to list and that you meet or beat your previous MCAT score, considering your good undergrad GPA, great grad school GPA, recent classes in upper-level science, strengths in teaching, and recent pubs presumably from science research, I'd say you have as good a shot as anyone could. As you know, that no one is a shoo-in at California schools, no matter how good they look on paper.

Some will say that turning down your only acceptance to a med school will mark you, but since the grad school experience was your priority at that time, I think you can explain that away. Even though you applied late, I find it astonishing that you got only one acceptance , considering your stats.

I'm not overly concerned about turning down med right away. I have what I consider to be some very good reasons, and I have no regrets about doing it that way.

As to why I didn't get more acceptances, I have a few theories. I applied relatively high with almost no safety schools, and I wasn't complete at most schools until very late fall / early spring. That part was a killer. In addition, my undergrad GPA went up from 3.67 to 3.75 my last year, getting a 4.0 over two semesters of heavy science. I'm not sure how much that difference would have made, but it might have mattered. There was a definite upward trend to my uGPA.

Anyhow, thanks for the feedback!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not overly concerned about turning down med right away. I have what I consider to be some very good reasons, and I have no regrets about doing it that way.

As to why I didn't get more acceptances, I have a few theories. I applied relatively high with almost no safety schools, and I wasn't complete at most schools until very late fall / early spring. That part was a killer. In addition, my undergrad GPA went up from 3.67 to 3.75 my last year, getting a 4.0 over two semesters of heavy science. I'm not sure how much that difference would have made, but it might have mattered. There was a definite upward trend to my uGPA.

Anyhow, thanks for the feedback!

It is good you aren't concerned about turning down the offer, but be prepared to be asked at every interview you get this season. Apply broadly after retaking MCAT and you should do well.

I know I can get into med school, I've done it before. However, I'd like to not do the full-blown application cycle my first time around. I plan on only applying to UCSF and Stanford this year. So hit me with it, what are my odds?

IMO, there is enough randomness in this process that, no matter how great your app is, your odds applying to just two schools (especially those two schools) are not overwhelming. There is still the coin toss element of what your interviewer had for lunch, how much sleep the interviewer got the night before, etc.

You obviously have a great app, but I would only do this if you're
a) Deeply invested in staying in the bay area AND
b) willing to go through the process a third time (knowing that re-application is a bit of a minus)

I personally would not want to go through this process again, but I assume you have your geographic reasons. If I were you, I would rather pay a few hundred extra dollars now, add some schools, and know I was much much more likely to get in. But maybe you enjoy risk and/or could handle a third application cycle.

I think you're going to want to apply to more schools than two, at least apply to all the UCs and USC. Also, banking on > 37 (esp on the new MCAT which has less questions and can be more random) isn't a sure thing. At least take it early so you can apply early this time. You may also want to check with the schools you're interested in to see how long your first MCAT will last.

IMO, there is enough randomness in this process that, no matter how great your app is, your odds applying to just two schools (especially those two schools) are not overwhelming. There is still the coin toss element of what your interviewer had for lunch, how much sleep the interviewer got the night before, etc.

You obviously have a great app, but I would only do this if you're
a) Deeply invested in staying in the bay area AND
b) willing to go through the process a third time (knowing that re-application is a bit of a minus)

I personally would not want to go through this process again, but I assume you have your geographic reasons. If I were you, I would rather pay a few hundred extra dollars now, add some schools, and know I was much much more likely to get in. But maybe you enjoy risk and/or could handle a third application cycle.

Hey, thanks for the feedback everyone! I think I'm going to stick with my plan to only apply to two schools this cycle. I'm certainly aware that applying to two great schools won't give me an awesome chance at an acceptance. I have a few good reasons that I'd like to stay in the bay area. Geographic location notwithstanding, UCSF is my dream school anyhow and I'd like to maximize my chances of going there.

Since both schools are local, I plan on this being a relatively relaxed application cycle. If it doesn't work out, I'll be in good condition to apply broadly the following application cycle. I'm not in a huge hurry, so taking the chance doesn't really bother me.

I think I'll definitely try to start doing some medical-related volunteer work again in the near future. While it's now been a few years, I've also done some medical volunteer work abroad, the most recent working in orphanages in Nepal for about a month in the summer before starting grad school.

Hey, thanks for the feedback everyone! I think I'm going to stick with my plan to only apply to two schools this cycle. I'm certainly aware that applying to two great schools won't give me an awesome chance at an acceptance. I have a few good reasons that I'd like to stay in the bay area. Geographic location notwithstanding, UCSF is my dream school anyhow and I'd like to maximize my chances of going there.

Since both schools are local, I plan on this being a relatively relaxed application cycle. If it doesn't work out, I'll be in good condition to apply broadly the following application cycle. I'm not in a huge hurry, so taking the chance doesn't really bother me.

I think I'll definitely try to start doing some medical-related volunteer work again in the near future. While it's now been a few years, I've also done some medical volunteer work abroad, the most recent working in orphanages in Nepal for about a month in the summer before starting grad school.

why not apply to UCD at least?

Personally, I wouldn't do it, but mostly because I wouldn't want to go through two cycles. If you can deal with that, more power to you. I also think that if anyone can get into those two schools, it's someone with your stats and ECs (assuming you get something near your old MCAT score). Best of luck.