Non Trad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dochopeful13

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any older non trad med students with kids here? I would like to talk to someone about living expenses and loans. Thx!

Members don't see this ad.

You can send me a message

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
4 years ago I graduated medical school, married and had two young kids.

It was very difficult. We maximized our loans. Wife was in undergrad at that time so we also took out federal loans under her name.

Frankly, I have no idea how we made it.

Take advantage of welfare programs (WIC, food stamps, Medicaid, section 8, free phone, etc)

Reactions: 2 users
4 years ago I graduated medical school, married and had two young kids.

It was very difficult. We maximized our loans. Wife was in undergrad at that time so we also took out federal loans under her name.

Frankly, I have no idea how we made it.

Take advantage of welfare programs (WIC, food stamps, Medicaid, section 8, free phone, etc)

This sums of my life exactly

Any older non trad med students with kids here? I would like to talk to someone about living expenses and loans. Thx!
Generally you’ll be in good shape if you have two kids… You might have to pinch pennies to make ends meet, but you should be fine. It’s tricky if you only have one kid though. You usually only get around 100k for the first one because first borns are more valuable and sell at a premium. For example my wife and I only got 75k for our second one. If you have three kids! Heck you’ll probably graduate debt free!

Non-traditional medical student, use to have two kids, ask away!

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Generally you’ll be in good shape if you have two kids… You might have to pinch pennies to make ends meet, but you should be fine. It’s tricky if you only have one kid though. You usually only get around 100k for the first one because first borns are more valuable and sell at a premium. For example my wife and I only got 75k for our second one. If you have three kids! Heck you’ll probably graduate debt free!

Non-traditional medical student, use to have two kids, ask away!
Best news I’ve heard all day! I do have three now 😂😂😂

Yep im non trad. i have no debt though bc my dad pays for everything