Non-Traditional Medical Student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mitch Connor

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey y'all. I am a nontraditional med student finishing up my first year of DO school. I've got a working wife and two kids so things have been nuts but we're holding it together Before all this started I wish I had been able to connect with more people on the same road that I am now to get a better idea of what to expect. I'm throwing this out there for anyone who has a family/kids and is planning on going through med school to let you know it is possible. If you have any questions let me know.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Glad to hear a positive take on medical school with a family. Any tips for how you balanced family and school?

Glad to hear a positive take on medical school with a family. Any tips for how you balanced family and school?
Team work. My wife works 3 part time jobs from home and we have one kid in school part time the other at home full time, so we pretty much juggle the kids back and forth each day Between class and lab etc. The only silver lining to COVID is that our attendance policy has changed and become more flexible which has been a blessing. Otherwise, making time to do family things has been important. There is always something to study or a test to prepare for so you really do need to make time for breaks. Expect to be tired and to have some long days for sure. It’s anything but easy, but it is doable.

Reactions: 1 user