Non traditional- Army, SAHM, to student- Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LadyLazarus

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, everyone. I am exploring my chances of medical school. Currently my GPA is a 3.8 for a major in chemistry. I got a B in , Calc I with analytical geometry and Statistics. However I did get an A (97) for Calc II. I have so far taken Chemistry I, Organic chemistry, Bio, and Physics and received As.

I have some worries.

1. I have been to many different schools because I was in the Army, and my husband is currently in the Marines. My current (and last) university is the 4th school. How will this look?

2. Basically, after the military I became a SAHM for 2.5 (so no jobs). I did continue my schooling full time at night, though. I am not sure how that would look? Any input?

My daughter started full time pre-school, and I am able to finally take the advanced courses only offered during the day.

I am exploring the idea of getting a degree in Biomedical engineering instead of chemistry after exploring this major at my school. I am only in my Junior year and most of pre reqs are the same as for chemistry, so save two engineering courses-- I would not be behind much. Which major would look "better"?

I have also applied for a volunteer position at a local hospital, so I am hoping for volunteer hours.

I am just wondering if I even have a chance at medical school.

Members don't see this ad.

Your GPA looks great and being a veteran will only work in your favor. I don't think there's any reason to worry about having multiple transcripts, especially since you're demonstrating your success at a 4 year institution now.
Being a SAHM will not negatively impact you -- since you were also a full-time student at that time I doubt it will even come up.
Medical schools really don't care what your major is as long as you complete your pre-reqs and do well in them. Choose whatever interests you the most.
Study hard and get a good score on the MCAT and amp up your clinical exposure (volunteering and shadowing) -- that's the main thing I see missing from your application at this point. You want to demonstrate that you've put in the work to confirm that medicine is the field for you. Some other non-clinical volunteering wouldn't hurt, but being a veteran already demonstrates your commitment to service.
If you are able to increase your clinical exposure and do well on the MCAT, you will have a strong application and a very good chance at acceptance.

Love these kinds of posts. Can't tell if troll or not. My apologies.

I was a SAHM for 13 years. I'm going to medical school next year. Your story is your story. Be proud of it!