Non-traditional Disadvantaged CA resident cGPA 3.5, sGPA 3.55, MCAT 33

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

s1monxsayz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm getting ready to reapply this cycle and I would like some feedback/opinion with my app and school list.
I am applying as a disadvantaged applicant (ORM-Asian) as I was brought into this country as an undocumented immigrant at a young age. Prior to coming to the US, my father was serving time in prison for a period of my childhood. Once we got to CA, my father went back to school and tries to secure legal status for our family. While my father was in school, I took on various under the table jobs (cleaning, etc) to help support my family. Upon completion of his degree, his past record prevented him from obtaining a work visa. Due to my status, I had to turn down my acceptance to all university and I studied at a JC for 4 years before transferring to a UC. Fortunately, my mother was able to obtain a work visa and I became a permanent resident at the age of 20. I worked a lot while studying full time during my time at JC in order to assist my family during the recession. My grades did suffer at my JC, but it improved when I transferred to a UC and my family no longer needed my contribution. At my JC, my GPA is 3.4 and my GPA at UC (Major:Genetics) is 3.65. MCAT is 33Q (12/8/13) I know my verbal is weak. Currently I am a US citizen and I would like to stay instate if possible.

Work Experience:
Afterschool program TA at a catholic school (2 years)
Logistics Manager (full time, 1.5 years)
Tutor/TA for Chemistry, Anatomy, Statistics (1 year)

Research Experience:
Biofilm Research on intravingal rings (5 months) - Paid
Protein Therapy for Diabetes (4 months full time, In Sweden)
Infectious Disease research (1.5 months full time, In Sweden)
Rapid pathogen identification technology development research (4 months) - paid
I have 2 publications (second+third author) in low-med impact journals

Clinical Experience:
Shadowing (500 Hours) - had the opportunity to be exposed to many different types of specialty through this experience
Clinic 1 Volunteering (400 Hours) - encountered diverse patient population and participated in free clinic for veterans/homeless. Strong LOR
Clinic 2 Volunteering (150 Hours) - provided translation for patients and had to opportunity to interact with an older patient population.

Volunteer Experience:
Food/Donation Drive for Syrian Refugee in Sweden (200 Hours) - When i was studying abroad, I had the opportunity to directly help some refugees that escaped to Sweden. I was part of a student organization and I started to donation drive.

Unique Experience:
I studied abroad in Sweden for one year and I worked in two different labs while I was there. I have a good LOR from a professor whom I worked for and had a course with.

Application:
My PS is relatively strong and it is bias toward research. I mention how I believe in order to provide the best possible care for patients, a deeper understanding of the science behind medicine is necessary.
I qualify for FAP

School List:
=In State=
UC Irvine
UC Davis
USC
UCLA - David Geffen
UCLA/Charles Drew
UCLA PRIME
UCR
-Dream- (???)
UCSF
UCSD
Stanford

=OOS=
OHSU
Colorado
NYMC
SUNY Downstate
SUNY Upstate
Stony Brook
Rochester
Rush
Albany
University of Washington
FIU
U. Vermont
U. Maryland

So what are my chances? and what other school should I add? or schools I should remove?
Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Consider the philly schools (Jefferson, Temple, Drexel).

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the advice. I sort of knew OHSU and U of W are not OOS friendly

YAAY someone from Sweden!!! Kan du prata Svenska? :) Where in Sweden did you do your research, Karolinska? I moved to CA 6 years ago!

Reactions: 1 user
Nej, jag talar inte svenska. I was at Lund University for a year! You are living a swede's dream by living in California haha. I actually wrote about the my experience in Sweden as one of the most significant experiences in my life. If more people can live by "lagon", the world would be a happier place :)

That's great to hear! Some of my friends think I live like the people from the show "OC" when I mention that I'm in California, which is definitely not the case, haha. What were some of the things you noticed that were different compared to California? I remember when I moved to CA, I noticed how much cheaper the gas and food was. I also felt that Americans are just friendlier, but that might be because I lived in Sweden for 20 years. I would love to hear about your trip!

I think the word you're looking for is "lagom" :)

I think in America it's more about individual and competition. In Sweden, it's more about working together and make sure one no is left behind. Thanks for the correction! I will fix it in my app before I submit tomorrow :)

awesome. I wish you the best of luck this cycle! Please tell me you tried Tunnbrödsrulle(sort of like hot dogs wrapped in pita bread with mashed potatoes and all kinds of good stuff) or their kebab when you were there!