Non traditional premed have many options and can’t decide

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cantdecide1234

Reaction score
Hi, i really need some advice and help. I am in FL. I am an icu nurse less than 1 year and wanted to became a crna. However after working as an icu nurse, I didn't like it. I have tried to figure out something else to do. Now I have 3 options and it has been very difficult for me to decide.

1, I have a CRNA interview coming. If I got accepted, I may have to keep working in icu which I don't like. I am also debating to become a doctor or become a mid level provider. I am more leaning towards becoming a doctor. I have very good grades and I love science.

2, I have a job offer in California and they offered me lots of money as a nurse case manager. It is very much like a desk job. I always want to go to California and the money is so tempting. The job doesn't sound terrible.

3, Stay in Florida and start to prepare Mcat and I also have 9 pre med prerequisites to take. Because I don't have much saving as a new grad, I will have to work and study at the same time. I am not crazy about FL.

I am thinking I am can combine option 2 and 3? I can move to California and study for mcat while working and maybe even apply to some med schools that doesn't require prerequisites.

Although it may delay 1 year for me to get into med school and also I will lose FL resident identity.

However, I will save some money and move to California. Is it stupid? I really need some advice.

Members don't see this ad.

I am also debating to become a doctor or become a mid level provider. I am more leaning towards becoming a doctor.
Have you shadowed doctors? I presume you have at least worked with them. You also said you have to take 9 prerequisite courses. It's too early to know if you are really ready to go down this route without more information.